Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rant
Good luck with multi monitors in Vista. Apparently it's quite broken still, and I have 2 17" displays I love to use in concert with each other.

Oh, for a project that's fun AND rewarding? Smoothwall as a hardened Linux firewall. It handles all my website / blog traffic and FTP server traffic, as well as all outgoing traffic.

http://www.smoothwall.org
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
Aka,Jun 12 2006, 02:37 AM Wrote:So get this, I installed drivers in Vista and.... I didn't have to restart. Serious. They just worked.

Also, I'm finding out (which I already knew) that my GF2 doesn't support a lot of the stuff vista wants to do, so I have normal boring slideshows and stuff. Also it's fairly slow on the machine I'm using.
[right][snapback]192631[/snapback][/right]

Surprise, surprize... Windows Areo basically wants a pretty heavy duty vid card to give you the whole show. Even my P4-3Ghz system isn't up to it, I'm gonna need $800 in upgrades, new MB/CPU & vid card at least if not memory as well <_<

NefCanuck
Well you only need the $800 in upgrades if you care about aero. I don't currently, so I wont bother, it runs a touch slow on the machine I'm running it on, but I imagine this is probably due to all the debug stuff being part of the beta. I imagine when it ships it WILL be quicker.

As for the dual monitors, yeah I've been hearing things about it, I've only got a single monitor attached currently, just using the second monitor on my desk with a KVM switch, so my main box has 2 monitors, and Vista only one, but I only have 2 monitors on my desk.

Also, Nef, I think the only real upgrade you need to run it is a video card and potentially RAM. I'm fairly confident that a P4 3 GHz would handle Vista quite fine. That said, I don't have one and can't confirm it, but if my 1.53 GHz AMD 1800+ can run it fine for everyday use type speed, I imagine 3 GHz Intel could as well.

Smoothwall I've heard of, and I've been thinking of using it with my old P166 MHz, but I think when I'm done playing with Vista, I'll install Linux on the same box as I did Vista, and make it my webserver. I'm tired of leaving on my fileserver/webserver, 7 harddrives are too loud to sleep next to.
Silver '05 Saabaru 9-2X Aero
lots of wrecked WRX's and STI's in quebec ;)
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
Aka,Jun 12 2006, 12:53 PM Wrote:Well you only need the $800 in upgrades if you care about aero. I don't currently, so I wont bother, it runs a touch slow on the machine I'm running it on, but I imagine this is probably due to all the debug stuff being part of the beta. I imagine when it ships it WILL be quicker.

Also, Nef, I think the only real upgrade you need to run it is a video card and potentially RAM. I'm fairly confident that a P4 3 GHz would handle Vista quite fine. That said, I don't have one and can't confirm it, but if my 1.53 GHz AMD 1800+ can run it fine for everyday use type speed, I imagine 3 GHz Intel could as well.
[right][snapback]192679[/snapback][/right]

Problem is that this is a machine that I do everyuthing on so it pretty well has to be capable of putting Vista through its paces (I'm looking at Vista "Ultimate" here when I upgrade) I have a gig of RAM but I've been hearing nasty things that a gig of mainboard memory is merely "Adequate" for Vista Aero.

Other hassle is that my MB is so old all it has is AGP slot (No PCI-E) which is another bottleneck. Even if I get my hands on the hottest AGP card available now (which is already eclipsed by the fastest PCI-E cards) by the time Vista ships it'll be midpack at best and I'm stuck on a dead end upgrade path :(

NefCanuck
There are plenty of AGP cards that will run Aero, and it's not really a bottle neck @ 8x.

I think someone released a 7800 on AGP.

Also, by the time Vista ships, stuff to run it will be cheaper, so your $800 will "go further"

I should say, Vista is starting to speed up on this machine, it boots in about the same time as XP, maybe a bit faster, only because it's a clean install. Still looks pretty without the Aero, I'll have to try this on a better machine later.

Beta 2 seems awfully stable as well, surprising. I'm sure after saying this I'll get a BSOD, but so far it's been well. I even didn't have to restart after installing drivers, that was pretty rad, never thought I'd be so happy not to have to restart.

Though you still have to restart after changing your workgroup... :S

Flofocus, why would I want to buy a wrecked one?
Aka,Jun 12 2006, 02:30 PM Wrote:Flofocus, why would I want to buy a wrecked one?
[right][snapback]192684[/snapback][/right]

Because a side swiped write off WRX can be had for under 10K in Quebec.

Then you can do this:

[Image: Picture013.jpg]

[Image: Picture012.jpg]

[Image: Picture014.jpg]

He just put on the same turbo as the STi, man does that car fly. Makes me wanna upgrade to a 16G DSM turbo asap :D :D . He also swapped everything that was still good from the wreck....wheels, seats, steering wheel, etc....anything that could bolt on from the wrx to the 2.5, he took out. He paid 6k for his RS, and another ~12K for the WRX wreck. With the new STi turbo hes hoping for high 12's, not bad for a car that had less than 20K spent on it heh?

:wub:
I can get the same thing done essentially for $6500

Ver2 JDM STi engine, gear box, rear diff, axels, and ECU, installed, plus tax. That would put me at approx. 275 hp.

I think I saw some places offering parts off 2k6 STIs and I'd be able to do that swap fro $14,000. So I'd have my '99 RS with 2k6 parts, including the active diffs.

But those are expensive options.

I would LOVE to do them though.
Yeah you could do that, I was just thinking bigger. Like my freind did, with a wreck he swapped out everything that could fit. Not just the engine, tranny and ECu here....EVERYTHING. The guy had a brand new car by the time he was done with it.

But I do agree...lots & lots of money to do this. :(