Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Earthquake Shakes Oakville
Earthquake shakes Oakville, frightens residents

Oakville, Ont. residents felt the earth move beneath their feet Thursday morning as a magnitude 2.7 earthquake shook the area for several seconds.

"All of a sudden there was this loud boom that sounded like an explosion," Oakville resident Cathy Godberson told CTV.ca. "The whole house shook, especially the floor. I felt it right up through my feet."

Seismologists with Natural Resources Canada confirmed that at 10:50 a.m. a small quake was recorded four kilometres north-west of Oakville. The source of the quake was almost five kilometres underground.

But it was enough to catch the attention of residents.

"It was scary. It was loud enough that it sounded like an explosion in the not-too-far distance," Godberson said.

While the quake was noticed by people in the area, seismologists say it was not strong enough to cause significant damage.

"There wouldn't be any structural damage associated with this," Seismologist Janet Drysdale told CTV.ca. "But people would wonder what's going on. It's not an everyday occurrence in their lives."

Scientists with Natural Resources Canada are examining data from the quake and will prepare a report. They say strong earthquakes are rare in the area, but small quakes are occasionally felt in that area near the end of Lake Ontario.

"Generally they're not too large. This is one of the larger ones," Drysdale said.

She said the largest quake recorded in the area had a magnitude of 3.8. It occurred Aug. 4, 2004 and the epicenter was located in Lake Ontario.

Quakes of magnitude 5.0 and stronger are usually associated with structural damage.

No reports of damage have been received as a result of Thursday's tremor.

Source : CTV.ca News Staff
I was the only member on this board with a Yellow Focus Sedan, and a 2002+ Euro Facelift on a sedan.
Ouch,

haha how did you beat Andrew by 1 min?

dammm you are good

And as for FLO???? damm you are declared the new internet nazi.

good job :)

"Coming together is a beginning, staying together is progress, and working together is success."
--Henry Ford

00 Focus ZX3 Silver- Sold
01 Focus ZX3 Green- Sold
01 Focus ZTS Red- Sold
03 Focus ZTW Green Sold
04 Escape LTD Silver- Sold
05 Freestyle LTD Black-Sold
02 Honda CRV EX-L-Sold
02 VW Jetta GLS TDI Silver-Sold

11 VW Jetta TDI 6spd Mine Smile
10 VW Golf Highline DSG- wrote off Sad

Uhh... mo, what does that have to do with the article? :lol: Maybe there should be a "random thread" in the bunny cage for random thoughts. Yeah, but I like Flo's idea for temp bans.

Either way, back ON topic... I would be shaken up if I felt the earthquake too!
Ottawa had a 4 pointer a few months ago. Was pretty crazy.

Regards
Internet Nazi
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
SangriaRedZX5,May 4 2006, 07:41 PM Wrote:Uhh... mo, what does that have to do with the article? :lol: Maybe there should be a "random thread" in the bunny cage for random thoughts. Yeah, but I like Flo's idea for temp bans.

Either way, back ON topic... I would be shaken up if I felt the earthquake too!
[right][snapback]185351[/snapback][/right]

I was on topic,

I SAID OUCH :D

please don't make them ban me, i need this site :(
"Coming together is a beginning, staying together is progress, and working together is success."
--Henry Ford

01 Focus ZX3 Green- Sold
01 Focus ZTS Red- Sold
03 Focus ZTW Green Sold
02 Honda CRV EX-L-Sold

Flofocus,May 4 2006, 03:49 PM Wrote:Ottawa had a 4 pointer a few months ago.  Was pretty crazy.
[right][snapback]185354[/snapback][/right]

Coincidentally, that was just before the Liberals conceded defeat.

*Knyuk Knyuk Knyuk* :lol:
Sold:2001 SE 2.0L SPI w/60mm TB, Steeda Shorty Intake.

Active: 2007 SES Hatch, Motegi MR7 Rims with 215/45ZR17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, debadged, black painted calipers and drums, RS Knob, CFM Short Throw, Billet E-Brake, CFM Focus pedals, MBRP Exhaust, XCal2, FS Front and Rear Strut Tower Bars, Diamond Plate Floor Mats and Sills, Alpine MP3 Deck, Alpine V-Power 300w Amp, Pioneer IMPP Sub, AlpineType-S door speakers, VF Engineering Rear Motor Mount, F2 RS Spoiler, Tokico D-spec shocks, HTP Cross Brace, EBC Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Russell SS Brake Lines, RS Wheel, SVT Blue Seats, Vibrant 2.5" Race Highflow Cat, CFM UDP. Rear SVT bumper to come.

Active: 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TJ [LJ], Volant CAI, 32" BFG Mud Terrains, and a whole bunch of goodies. Big Grin
Mo, you need this site? I have more posts than you and you've been here forever :P
SangriaRedZX5,May 4 2006, 04:13 PM Wrote:Mo, you need this site? I have more posts than you and you've been here forever :P
[right][snapback]185358[/snapback][/right]

999. 1 more and your at a grand.

Andrew must be proud. :wub:

You should post a new topic about this milestone. I think its the 1st female in FC.net history to reach it. ;)
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
SangriaRedZX5,May 4 2006, 08:13 PM Wrote:Mo, you need this site? I have more posts than you and you've been here forever :P

i used to be a dedicated member once with no whoring at all, but all these post whores started coming in here and taking over this site. Since i can't beat them, mind as well join them :)

OHHHHH nice my 666 post
--Henry Ford

01 Focus ZX3 Green- Sold
01 Focus ZTS Red- Sold
03 Focus ZTW Green Sold
02 Honda CRV EX-L-Sold

Can you seriously even feel a 2.7? Frighten my a$$
Silver '05 Saabaru 9-2X Aero
Now to keep the girl from reading, listening, or watching the news...

"Oh, you're so wonderful, I swear I felt the earth move!"
"Hail to the king baby!"
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

SangriaRedZX5,May 4 2006, 04:13 PM Wrote:Mo, you need this site? I have more posts than you and you've been here forever :P

Thats true... But i think he was in afghanistan for a year.
05 Altima SE-R
98 Grand Cherokee 5.9: Flowmaster; K&N
05 300C 5.7: Sold
99 Civic SIR: Sold
03 Focus SVT: Sold
01 Focus ZX3: Sold
scoobasteve,May 5 2006, 03:53 PM Wrote:

Thats true... But i think he was in afghanistan for a year.
[right][snapback]185548[/snapback][/right]

Ohh Yeah, Thanks steve

I was in Bosnia actually for a 6 months, and ever since then Its the stupid websence that blocks me from using focusnet. So that is why i can not be a post whore :D
--Henry Ford

01 Focus ZX3 Green- Sold
01 Focus ZTS Red- Sold
03 Focus ZTW Green Sold
02 Honda CRV EX-L-Sold

Thats right, Mo was in bosnia... someone else here was or is in afghanistan...

I think. :iono:
05 Altima SE-R
This is so off topic... :lol:
and thats the way it should be....
05 Altima SE-R
Craziness....
Bleeding Ford Blue again...
an off topic whored thread and I am not involved? hmm... how'd you let me miss this scooba!

***want to buy***
MBRP................ check
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check
Meford's Mom.... sale pending
Invite only :ph34r:
05 Altima SE-R