Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Redline Rendezvous At Mosport
ZTWsquared,Aug 26 2009, 10:07 PM Wrote:
NefCanuck,Aug 26 2009, 10:08 PM Wrote:Wow, that photo puts it in perspective, that's a big damn track to be playing on :blink:

Wonder if I'll get the V6 pegged on the longer section? :ph34r:

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]293342[/snapback][/right]
That longer section, also known as Mario Andretti Straightaway, is a seriously steep uphill climb all the way ... so weight is your enemy here ... like I said - pictures don't do justice to the dramatic elevation changes built into that course.
[right][snapback]293345[/snapback][/right]

Damn... and I've been trying to lose weight for the past three months :lol:

Seriously though, at least the weather looks to be decent to the point where the Steeda SRI won't get bogged by heatsoak on that climb.

NefCanuck
NefCanuck,Aug 26 2009, 11:28 PM Wrote:
NefCanuck,Aug 26 2009, 10:08 PM Wrote:Wow, that photo puts it in perspective, that's a big damn track to be playing on :blink:

NefCanuck
That longer section, also known as Mario Andretti Straightaway, is a seriously steep uphill climb all the way ... so weight is your enemy here ... like I said - pictures don't do justice to the dramatic elevation changes built into that course.

Seriously though, at least the weather looks to be decent to the point where the Steeda SRI won't get bogged by heatsoak on that climb.

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]293346[/snapback][/right]

Do what I did ... convince your instructor to sign you off for solo ... instant 200 lbs weight loss ... gave me an extra 5 kph at the top of the straight - no lie.
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
ZTWsquared,Aug 26 2009, 10:39 PM Wrote:
NefCanuck,Aug 26 2009, 11:28 PM Wrote:

NefCanuck

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]293346[/snapback][/right]

Do what I did ... convince your instructor to sign you off for solo ... instant 200 lbs weight loss ... gave me an extra 5 kph at the top of the straight - no lie.
[right][snapback]293347[/snapback][/right]

:lol: you and I both know that ain't happening Ken, not this year and maybe not ever (I mean I could see other drivers being leery of someone who can't use hand signals at all and having to use his turn signals driving solo, I can respect that)

Besides if I get last years instructor again, he's one of the smallest instructors there IIRC

NefCanuck
[/quote]Because my car is a "momentum" car (ie: no hp) I have to be extremely careful about my line because if I scrub speed it takes forever to get it back. In a way I'm grateful for this because IMO its helped me learn how to drive as opposed to just pushing the pedals to the floor.
[right][snapback]293339[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I feel the same way . It happened many times on track days that I managed to stay close to the cars in front of me through the corners, I would say 95% of them much more powerful , with or without AWD , but did not have enough juice to pass them on straights :angry:
NefCanuck,Aug 27 2009, 12:10 AM Wrote:[
Besides if I get last years instructor again, he's one of the smallest instructors there IIRC

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]293348[/snapback][/right]
who was it , John ?
Gabriel,Aug 27 2009, 08:05 PM Wrote:

NefCanuck
who was it , John ?
[right][snapback]293391[/snapback][/right]

I'm not sure of his name anymore, I just remember he had the race prepped grey Contour and he took me out for a blast in that and after three laps I was ready to lose my lunch :ph34r:

NefCanuck
NefCanuck,Aug 27 2009, 09:11 PM Wrote:
Gabriel,Aug 27 2009, 08:05 PM Wrote:

NefCanuck
who was it , John ?
[right][snapback]293391[/snapback][/right]

I'm not sure of his name anymore, I just remember he had the race prepped grey Contour and he took me out for a blast in that and after three laps I was ready to lose my lunch :ph34r:

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]293392[/snapback][/right]
I remember the car , the guy was a frenchie from QC if I remember well , quite a fast driver . I went for a ride with the American guy with that red Mustang , damn loud car and stiff as a go kart and then John was my instructor (the one driving the black VW Jetta ) the first day . Second day I managed to have Jeff Lacina with me for a few laps and he said I was doing good :headbang:
Gabriel,Aug 27 2009, 08:40 PM Wrote:I remember the car , the guy was a frenchie from QC if I remember well , quite a fast driver . I went for a ride with the American guy with that red Mustang , damn loud car and stiff as a go kart and then John was my instructor (the one driving the black VW Jetta ) the first day . Second day I managed to have Jeff Lacina with me for a few laps and he said I was doing good  :headbang:
[right][snapback]293403[/snapback][/right]

I knew the Contour was a serious runner when I get shoehorned into a racing bucket and then get a five point harness handed to me (and nearly crotched myself with the silly thing, but I didn't move a millimeter :P)

Not like my leather buckets, even sinched as best we could, my instructor and I shifted a fair bit in the car :ph34r:

I swear to all that's unholy if Lacina is back I refuse to run behind him... His little stunt during the parade laps on the Sunday nearly gave me a heart attack.

He turned off the TCS in his rental Mustang GT and punched it to see the state of the track... ended up doing a 540 degree spin and facing me :blink:

NefCanuck

NefCanuck,Aug 27 2009, 10:07 PM Wrote:
Gabriel,Aug 27 2009, 08:40 PM Wrote:I remember the car , the guy was a frenchie from QC if I remember well , quite a fast driver . I went for a ride with the American guy with that red Mustang , damn loud car and stiff as a go kart and then John was my instructor (the one driving the black VW Jetta ) the first day . Second day I managed to have Jeff Lacina with me for a few laps and he said I was doing good  :headbang:
[right][snapback]293403[/snapback][/right]

I knew the Contour was a serious runner when I get shoehorned into a racing bucket and then get a five point harness handed to me (and nearly crotched myself with the silly thing, but I didn't move a millimeter :P)

Not like my leather buckets, even sinched as best we could, my instructor and I shifted a fair bit in the car :ph34r:

I swear to all that's unholy if Lacina is back I refuse to run behind him... His little stunt during the parade laps on the Sunday nearly gave me a heart attack.

He turned off the TCS in his rental Mustang GT and punched it to see the state of the track... ended up doing a 540 degree spin and facing me :blink:

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]293413[/snapback][/right]
My wife went for a few laps with him . When she got out of the car I had to help her out with the helmet . And btw that Mustang was a rental :lol:
Gabriel,Aug 27 2009, 10:23 PM Wrote:My wife went for a few laps with him .
[right][snapback]293414[/snapback][/right]

You didn't strike me as such an easy going guy ... :rolleyes:
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
ZTWsquared,Aug 26 2009, 08:29 PM Wrote:Because my car is a "momentum" car (ie: no hp) I have to be extremely careful about my line because if I scrub speed it takes forever to get it back. In a way I'm grateful for this because IMO its helped me learn how to drive as opposed to just pushing the pedals to the floor.
[right][snapback]293339[/snapback][/right]

I have never heard it described that way before, but it makes total sense now.

I experienced this a Mosport last weekend...

not on the big track or the DDT but on the go-kart track they have there. I was racing with a bunch of guys from work in identical karts. The young lighter punks initially had much better lap times. Becuase of my relatively heavier weight I was that "momentum" kart and initially I was driving by just mashing the pedals to the floor. I was losing ground not only in the straights but scrubbing too much speed off in the corners.

But by the end of the day by keeping my momentum up in the corners I was able to half my initial lap time differential to the fast lightweight guys.
vintage 2000 malibu blue ZX3 ***SOLD***
2013 performance blue ST

TEAM P.I.T.A.
ZTWsquared,Aug 27 2009, 11:12 PM Wrote:
Gabriel,Aug 27 2009, 10:23 PM Wrote:My wife went for a few laps with him .
[right][snapback]293414[/snapback][/right]

You didn't strike me as such an easy going guy ... :rolleyes:
[right][snapback]293417[/snapback][/right]
Now why I am not surprised to get this kind of comments ? For anybody else having the same thoughts , I meant road course laps :lol: