Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Check Fuel Cap Light On
As the subject line indicates, driving along the 401 today when I heard what sounded like a "thwack" and the Check Fuel Cap light comes on. I hadn't touched the fuel cap since filling the tank last Sunday so I'm like "WTH"?

Get to my destination, take the cap off, noticing that there's no pressure being released when I undid the cap (First bad sign) clean everything using a clean rag, cap, filler neck, etc. put the cap back on, ratcheting it to four clicks, still get the light, also noticed a faint gas smell as I was travelling (second bad sign)

It's going in Monday and it will be a warranty job, but I'm just curious if anyone else has had their gas cap fail and at what mileage (Or if the Check Cap Light was actually traced to anything else?)

NefCAnuck
My light came on but it's because I put a key lock type fuel cap on that I got from crapy tire.
It only happened once since then been ok (1year)
On my dads car 2000 Focus the light came on all the time.

Try diconnecting the battery to clear the ECU and then reconnect if that doesn't work take it in like you said.

Good luck!!!
E.O Masiv!
New look for the summer
SVT ZX5 Focus Build#56 01/29/2003
I think there is something wrong with my car, every time I shift I hear Psssst noise?
Looking to get 25-30psi with a Procharger

[Image: style7,TikEtZ.png]
This happened to me not to long ago. Mind you I have a 2000 focus so i guess i got my moneys worth outta the stock fuel cap. I think it cost me 10 bux max for a new one from parts source. Fixed the problem up real quick. Just gotta reset the computer after you put a new one on to clear the code.
Current
09 F150 SCREW 4X4 XTR

Former
Show
Hella Magic Module Tail Lights, 17" Ford Racing EAP rims, 5% Rear, 20% Front Tint, Panasonic CQ7401 Deck, 2 MB Quart 10's, Alpine Components, Phoenix Gold 500.1 Amp
Go
Steeda Cold Ram Air Intake MBRP Exhaust (Gen 2), FK Coilovers, Hedman Header (Install Pending),FC Hi-Flo Cat (Install Pending),EBC Greenstuff Pads

Mine failed about 1 month after I got the SVT. I just bought a new one and replaced it. The code will clear itself after 3 complete driving cycles. That's from cold start to driving to shut down.
[Image: 860doigiveadamn2yy.gif]

Prolly Is not a word
I had this too. I checked under the car for signs of damage etc.. on the EVAP system and I noticed my evap line was kinda rusted out. I am not sure about the 2005+ but there are 2 different codes for that check fuel cap light. One is for a big leak and one is for a minor. You can try a fuel cap ans see if your old one was losing pressure but it's usually not that but it's the easiest attempt to solve it. You'll have to reset the ECU and it might take up wards of 5 trips to come back on if you didn't fix it.

Mine went away on it's own
***want to buy***
MBRP................ check
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check
Meford's Mom.... sale pending
possible things to check:

-breather return hose in the fuel door boot
-gas cap is not air tight, has air leak
-dpfe sensor (a last resort, try scanning for odb codes)
My other ride is your Mom
Update:

Brought the car in this morning to Erinwood, the SA didn't seem surprised that the "Check Fuel Cap" light was on or the lack of pressure when I tried taking the cap off and on several times and driving around between attempts, so they're looking at it now.

But here's the kick to the head:

Even if it is only the fuel cap, the dealership has none in stock! I'm like: WTH? Not even one cap? How are they gonna test it? Swipe a gas cap from an '05 on the lot? :blink:

I have to wonder, this is the second time that the dealer hasn't had the parts in stock to do the repairs. Is it common practice at dealerships now not to stock anything other than consumables? I realize that it would get pretty hairy storage wise to store every possible part, but I mean all we're talking about is a gas cap here, now they'll spend $10 in gas to pick one up, either from another local Ford dealer or the distro warehouse in Brampton :rolleyes:

NefCanuck
Gas caps aren't a common replacement item on 05s that I am aware of. I'm actually not surprised they don't have one in stock.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
NefCanuck,Jan 30 2006, 04:11 PM Wrote:Update:

Brought the car in this morning to Erinwood, the SA didn't seem surprised that the "Check Fuel Cap" light was on or the lack of pressure when I tried taking the cap off and on several times and driving around between attempts, so they're looking at it now.

But here's the kick to the head:

Even if it is only the fuel cap, the dealership has none in stock! I'm like: WTH?  Not even one cap?  How are they gonna test it? Swipe a gas cap from an '05 on the lot? :blink:

I have to wonder, this is the second time that the dealer hasn't had the parts in stock to do the repairs.  Is it common practice at dealerships now not to stock anything other than consumables?  I realize that it would get pretty hairy storage wise to store every possible part, but I mean all we're talking about is a gas cap here, now they'll spend $10 in gas to pick one up, either from another local Ford dealer or the distro warehouse in Brampton  :rolleyes:

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]167515[/snapback][/right]

My gf works at a Midas and they only stock exhust parts and a few tires. Anything else they need they call a supplier and have it there in under an hour. Dealerships sorta work the same way. They'll buy parts from other local dealers or have it shipped next day. It only makes sense to do it this way since most dealers don't have a warehouse for supplies, just enough room for the common consumables.

Crappy tire has fuel caps in stock though :)
***want to buy***
MBRP................ check
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check
Meford's Mom.... sale pending
nass,Jan 30 2006, 12:02 PM Wrote:My gf works at a Midas and they only stock exhust parts and a few tires. Anything else they need they call a supplier and have it there in under an hour. Dealerships sorta work the same way. They'll buy parts from other local dealers or have it shipped next day. It only makes sense to do it this way since most dealers don't have a warehouse for supplies, just enough room for the common consumables.

Crappy tire has fuel caps in stock though :)
[right][snapback]167521[/snapback][/right]

Yeah but I ain't gonna pay if I have a FoMoCo warranty on the darn thing :P

No callback yet though and I dropped the car off at 8:30AM, makes me wonder if they either shoved the car to end of the line assuming simple fix or it's more complicated than they thought (If it is, I suspect the gas tank & hardware if it's not the gascap, since they had the tank off a few months ago to deal with my fuel guage/fuel pump issue)

Update at 1:20pm]

Got a call from the SA just before lunch, guess what? Turns out that the evap line attached to the tank had come off :blink: Looks like I was right suspecting that when they dropped the tank things didn't get put back together for the long haul :P

So now I lose another hour of work to go get my car -shrugs-

NefCanuck

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Resetting the check engine light Mystake 22 19,717 05-05-2011, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Mystake
  Check Engine Light KillaCamST 16 5,991 04-09-2010, 04:51 AM
Last Post: KillaCamST
  Check Gas Cap Light sonic_mikey 11 12,561 01-23-2010, 04:35 AM
Last Post: sonic_mikey