FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Best Suv For The $
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Im maybe selling the focus and getting a SUV. Just wondering wich SUV would be the best. Im looking at a Escape because I can have it really cheap so..but im open to other SUV's.
you're kidding right an SUV at todays fuel prices ?? Then again you should be able to get one cheap as people are starting to unload them !!
I would agree. the Escape really can't be beat. You can get 05 limiteds for 26 grand. They come in a wide range of powertrains and are based on a proven platform.
i bet it is better on fuel then the focus too!
brucktown,Oct 20 2005, 09:06 PM Wrote:i bet it is better on fuel then the focus too!
[right][snapback]150557[/snapback][/right]

That I agree! The Focus is really hard on gas. Well mine is...
I have an 04 escape (well the wife does), and it is fairly good on gas for an SUV. Still the focus is better on gas (at least mine is).

I kinda like the escape, its a damn good truck for the $, we've had zero issues with it....
focusonthis_88,Oct 20 2005, 09:10 PM Wrote:
brucktown,Oct 20 2005, 09:06 PM Wrote:i bet it is better on fuel then the focus too!
[right][snapback]150557[/snapback][/right]

That I agree! The Focus is really hard on gas. Well mine is...
[right][snapback]150558[/snapback][/right]

How many clicks you get on a tank?

Honestly, this may sound stoopid to some, but get a custom chip burned for the car. From what I've read and from personal experience you get better gas mielage with a custom tune. Yeah, youll have to pay for 91+ octane, but you'll see a increase of +75km on your tank.

The best I've ever done on my focus pree turbo was something like 506.....On my way back from Jays (whityby), I did 620+. :o (no boost)

How do you drive? That makes a huge difference. Driving 100km/hr instead of 130km/hr will add MPG bigtime. I'm not kidding, especially on our cars.

And why go to an SUV? Do you really need one? Look into a nice focus wagon with an SPI motor instead :D You should get better MPG from the spi than the escape.

Yup escape can't be beat for it's price and they are pretty good on gas :) Best off road suv also in it's range(except maybe liberty), the rest couldn't even handle a bloddy muddle puddle :lol:
haha..I just got my 06 Escape from the dealer..brand new..no regrets of the trade..it says 570kms per tank..on the onboard comp. so trade it..its noiiice...
I dont feel too sad about the focus..since it was only like 400kms per tank..and also 91 octane..

good luck and go get an Escape.
Congrats :) Their a very nice machine, what system did you get in it?
got the Limited...all the toys!!! the system its the new audiophile with mp3 and 7speakers...love it..pounds better than the SVT..!! got to love this truck!!
and thanx.!
I've been flirting with this idea a lot too. Depends on what kinda truck you want. The Mazda Tribute is essentially the same car overall as the Escape but I liked the feel of it a little more. Bash Kia all you want, but the Sorento is a cool little uti as well and in my top 3. Next on my list of test drives is the Hyundai Tucson, and I recently took out an 05 Santa Fe which was fackin unbelievably fun to drive... It depends on your driving style really.
The tribute is a little sportier then the escape is, but their overall the same vehicle. Just depends on what you want in your vehicle.
As I'm trying to show respect for folks, all I'll say is that unless you're living in the snowbelt or have to off-road to your house everyday... you don't need a SUV.

As for fuel economy - after mods I can get 325-350KMs on 20Ls of 87 octane. That's driving 100 KM/H all the time. I can drop that down significantly as Nate mentioned by running 120-140.

In other words, I can drive from our door to my parents' front door on less than 1/2 an indicated tank of gas. The custom chip is a great idea, and you can also get a custom tune done for 87 octane as well. Hell, get a multi-tune chip and get both tunes.
Like others have said, a chip will get you better mileage. You can even have one off the tunes specifically burned for just that if you want. The Escape/Tribute seems to be the best choice of the cute 'utes (compact/not real 4x4 SUV's) for the money.
You can pick one up used relatively cheap compared to the same year of the compitition (CRV/RAV4/XTRAIL) if I'm not mistaken.
An intake and chip will get you better gas mileage for sure
These "compact" SUVS fit the need for people that want a little more storage/towing capacity while still maintaining good fuel economy.

My wife wanted it so we could tow our trailer, I tried and fighted with her to get a F150 lightning but I lost that argument :( Of course a lightning isn't fuel efficient :P
Fuel economy is an oxymoron when towing, unless you're using a full-size pickup/ute with a diesel.

Want more capacity? Get something else that has a diesel.

It seems the manufacturers have said that if you want style or storage, you need a V8. That's the American mentality talking. If only you guys have seen what I've fit in the trunk of my sedan.

A Focus wagon with either engine and either transmission should have PLENTY of space for a family with 2-3 young kids. Ditto for a family with 2 older kids.

I've hauled my grandparents back and forth from Toronto several times in the sedan. Plus luggage and my 10" sub/amp combo. Never an issue. They were completely comfortable all the way up / down. Remember, I'm 6'3" and drive with the seat back all the way.

They're both 5'8" - 5'10".
&# Wrote:Focus Wife[/B],Oct 21 2005, 09:42 AM]
These "compact" SUVS fit the need for people that want a little more storage/towing capacity while still maintaining good fuel economy.

My wife wanted it so we could tow our trailer, I tried and fighted with her to get a F150 lightning but I lost that argument :(  Of course a lightning isn't fuel efficient :P
[right][snapback]150639[/snapback][/right]

Sweet. Lesbian marriages on FC.net :lol:
AHAHA... HAHHHAHAHA... :rofl:

I completely missed that! :D
Pages: 1 2 3 4