FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Modifications To My Zx5
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Guys,

I just wanted some opinions on what I should do for modifications on my ZX5. I do not want to change the outside look too much, but I do want some changes. I am definitely going to get tint done as my first mod. I also want to change some things inside the car, which my boy and I are going to do before I head out to NFLD in a week and a half.

So... I wanted to know what you guys suggest for interior and exterior? I won't be doing exterior until a little while now, but next week, I'll change some interior. My boy works at a dealership, so he can pretty much change anything.

Any ideas, guys?

Pictures of my car: http://www.focuscanada.net/forum/index.p...opic=11510
well becuase its an automatic, and you havent started peformance yet, theres not alot to do really with the inside...id say go for some ICE (in car entertainment)

maybe satelite radio, new HU, speakers? that type of thing

are you driving to newfie land? cuz that would benifit alot!
Yeh,

stereo system is a must!!

tint is good too!

as for the outside,...there are many possibilities....why not start by getting a mazda3 rear wiper blade...they are cheap, easy to install, look nice and get rid of the boney -looking stock one!

You could also swap your headlight, fog, and turn bulbs...

One of the first things I did to mine was score a set of 3157 dual-filament silverstar bulbs for my turns so it gets rid of the amber when they are off but still blink amber to be completely legal!!

If you are looking to spend more money..you could get lowering springs and rims. you could score a spoiler and make me jealous cause I want one on my 05'...

Lots of options!!
A 1.5" drop or a small/tastefull spoiler would be good for the outside.
Dont put an exhaust, just a nice chrome tip will do, and not the peashooter (2001 zts) type. some tint would also go well, do the fog light mod, (or the DRF mod) some hyperwhite headlightbulbs, and some silvervision turn signal bulbs upfront, thats all i can think of
why dont you buy some nice 18' wheels that look like mine...

(I'll give them to you really cheap)..! ;)
If you are looking to spend more money..you could get lowering springs and rims. you could score a spoiler and make me jealous cause I want one on my 05'...

I was actually looking into a spoiler. Someone has a spoiler on here, and I want it. It would look nice on my car! I'm thinking about it... seriously. Plus, I'd love to make you jealous. haha, jks! I want rims too.

why dont you buy some nice 18' wheels that look like mine...

(I'll give them to you really cheap)..!

lol, where do you work? And how could you?
Drop, rims and exhaust and your good to go :)
If nothing else, spend the 60 bucks and get a K+N panel filter OEM replacement. It'll pay for itself in 6 months between the aggregated cost of paper filters and the gas mileage increase. It's the first "mod" I did to our car and lasted me almost a year (before I got the itch to do more).

I'll launch into my long-winded "fuel economy of our 2004 vacation to Nova Scotia" story some other time.

Silverstar headlight bulb replacements are nice, the vastly improved lightbeam just makes driving unfamiliar roads so much easier. Beware using coloured bulbs within a coloured housing, it filters the output and makes the light appeared "washed out".

Others have done tasteful interior painting as a mod... when done right it looks pretty pimp :)

I'd suggest a rubber upgrade for the wheels you have currently. The roads on the way to the coast reward a skilled driver with good rubber... but have a keen eye for those potholes! Just ask Oscar :rolleyes:

The MBRP cat-back exhaust is also a viable option if you want a complete and proper exhaust mod done. Their quality is top-notch and their support staff are always available via their 1-800 number. What's not to love? Oh, the kit retails for under $300 CDN after taxes, but before shipping. That's a great price for a fully-stainless steel kit.

Stereo upgrades are nice, but they're addicting and make the cash flow faster than Maalox at a Jalapeno pepper festival. You'll blow $1000+ on a good headunit and door speaks / components, and still need to spend more on a good sub / amp combo to balance it out.

Just my 2 cents, adjusted for inflation.
NOS2Go4Me,Jul 8 2005, 08:40 AM Wrote:If nothing else, spend the 60 bucks and get a K+N panel filter OEM replacement. It'll pay for itself in 6 months between the aggregated cost of paper filters and the gas mileage increase. It's the first "mod" I did to our car and lasted me almost a year (before I got the itch to do more).
[right][snapback]120260[/snapback][/right]

:blink: Can you do a K&N filter replacement on an '05? 'cause the owners manual indicates that the airbox is meant for the life of the car and not to do anything to it. Would the K&N solution require any modifications to the stock airbox assembly?

NefCanuck
if you plan on doing alot of driving, you should change the stereo system. tint for sure, K&N drop in filter, paint dash parts, a spoiler on the back, and maybe some clear corners on the front bumper.
NefCanuck,Jul 8 2005, 10:30 AM Wrote:
NOS2Go4Me,Jul 8 2005, 08:40 AM Wrote:If nothing else, spend the 60 bucks and get a K+N panel filter OEM replacement. It'll pay for itself in 6 months between the aggregated cost of paper filters and the gas mileage increase. It's the first "mod" I did to our car and lasted me almost a year (before I got the itch to do more).
[right][snapback]120260[/snapback][/right]

:blink: Can you do a K&N filter replacement on an '05? 'cause the owners manual indicates that the airbox is meant for the life of the car and not to do anything to it. Would the K&N solution require any modifications to the stock airbox assembly?

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]120317[/snapback][/right]

The correct K+N panel filter replacement for the 05 Duratecs will drop right into the stock paper filter position. Filter replacements, so long as the replacement is tested to filter as good or better than the stock paper POS, will not void any warranties and it's illegal for dealers to void the warranty with a K+N installed.

I'd say install the filter, put the DO NOT REMOVE FILTER / DO NOT DISCARD sticker on top of the airbox (or if asthetics are a big thing, just the K+N logo sticker) and tell the service advisor for the first few oil changes that it's a K+N and to leave it alone. After a couple of oil changes, the notes about the filter should alert the service personnel as to it being there and they should leave it alone.

Enjoy the increased responsiveness and better gas mileage, especially on the highway. :)
Are you sure there's even a paper filter on the 05's?
Those 05's got a little gauge by the air box telling your when to change your air filter. I didnt actually open it up thow to see if it was paper or not.
Well if you want to go different for you 2005 Focus, My suggestion would be get the Euro rear Bumper and both left and right backup lights, and put the OEM Euro Tails on your car and hook them all up correctly. The cost would be less then $1000, and would give your car a more European and up scale look to it.

Euro Rear on a "peper red" Focus hatch

Since the 2005 - 2000 Focus Hatchs and Wagons have the same rear end you'd be the only one on here with that done as a " mod " without really changing the over all look of your car. Plus you'd have an added safety feature of having amber turn signels in the rear.
wagons have a completley different rear.

i'd personally go with the f2 performance rs kit. best looking kit for the 05s IMHO

Jays2000ZX3,Jul 8 2005, 12:07 PM Wrote:Are you sure there's even a paper filter on the 05's?
[right][snapback]120340[/snapback][/right]

TBH, I'm not sure. I would assume that the guys at K+N could easily improve upon the stock CFM of the factory filter, though.
05's DO NOT have a paper filter. You replace the whole filter box when the filter minder reads in the red.... in like 100,000 km. With that i purchased the cold air intake from focus central in which i still have to install
:o short-ram or CAI for sure, then.

That's the craziest thing I've heard of.
How much does the filter box cost?
Pages: 1 2 3