FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Urgent Help Needed
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Repost, from me, of me, from focaljet

I took my zx5 to a shop to get the resonator cut out.

i think they took the muffler. Which one is which? The resonator is the lunchbox right? The muffler is the cylinder?

The shop cut out what I think was the muffler and put a straight pipe on it, leaving the resonator.

So that's my issue. I need to find out ASAP because I need to drive my ass back there and get them to fix this lol.
Mystake,Mar 5 2010, 02:31 PM Wrote:i think they took the muffler. Which one is which? The resonator is the lunchbox right? The muffler is the cylinder?
[right][snapback]302807[/snapback][/right]
AFAIK, that is correct.
Yes, that is right (I have my old stock system from my '05 sitting in storage) the muffler is just a cylinder at the far end.

NefCanuck
Did you take them out and point to your car what you wanted done?

where did you take it?
SL8RZZX3,Mar 5 2010, 03:08 PM Wrote:Did you take them out and point to your car what you wanted done?

where did you take it?
[right][snapback]302810[/snapback][/right]

Custom GT Exhaust. On Taunton near Harmony.

I went back and said "yo you took out the muffler"

They'll fix it all and put it all back together. I'm not impressed though and I'm going to bitch them out if they don't weld my exhaust back together properly. I'm very fortunate aren't I? Now I have a jigsaw puzzle of an exhaust, all welded together.

Canadian Tire right down the street from Custom GT Exhaust also did warranty replacement to my rear tires ( I had to pay some 55$ fees for the tires, the labour of testing the car, etc. etc.) only to notice today that they put the bloody rears on BACKWARDS.

SERIOUSLY?!

I've had some HORRIBLE luck lately with the shops in the Oshawa region.

Overall, a s***tastic day. Sorry for the language. I'm in a horrible mood.

edit: I specifically said to take out the RESONATOR. And no, it does NOT sound any "better" or good. There is an EVER SO SLIGHT change in the way it sounds but I wouldn't call it louder or anything. Might be a bit louder, but not worth it.
Mystake,Mar 5 2010, 02:31 PM Wrote:Repost, from me, of me, from focaljet

i think they took the muffler. Which one is which? The resonator is the lunchbox right? The muffler is the cylinder?

The shop cut out what I think was the muffler and put a straight pipe on it, leaving the resonator.

So that's my issue. I need to find out ASAP because I need to drive my ass back there and get them to fix this lol.

[Image: unamused-1.jpg]
NikiterZTS,Mar 5 2010, 04:54 PM Wrote:
Mystake,Mar 5 2010, 02:31 PM Wrote:Repost, from me, of me, from focaljet

[Image: unamused-1.jpg]
[right][snapback]302817[/snapback][/right]

Explain?
nik's usual zomg face lol.

anywho the resonator would make a slight difference, however it should be somewhat noticeable. the ST doesn't have one so your car sounds like one of those.

get an mbrp exhaust and call it a day, woot :lol:
I thought the lunch box was the muffler????? and the cylinder was the resonator. Thats what I saw and was told by mech too.

But what do I know. Cut mine all the hell out lol.
same here, i believe lunchbox is muffler..
Scorcher000,Mar 5 2010, 07:33 PM Wrote:I thought the lunch box was the muffler????? and the cylinder was the resonator. Thats what I saw and was told by mech too.

But what do I know. Cut mine all the hell out lol.
[right][snapback]302824[/snapback][/right]
I think so too , the long tube is the resonator
Lunchbox removal is what most ppl do...if thats what they took out then thats the muffler.

Removing the resonator I think would make your car sound pretty s***ty.
well based off my experience my resonator is in the middle of the car underneath and the muffler is at the back
miuffler is the lunchbox thingy. Resonator is the round tube in the middle of the exhaust.

muffler usually goes, resonator shouldn't.

IMO, I'd get an exhaust shop to fab me up something complete and proper... Removing the resonator/muffler (muffler more than resonator) may get you more HP, but it doesn't get you a better exhaust... IMO of course.
you might fail driveclean if you chop off the muffler too...
paolo,Mar 5 2010, 10:37 PM Wrote:you might fail driveclean if you chop off the muffler too...
[right][snapback]302839[/snapback][/right]

uuumm no
i know on my focus, muffler was where the resonator was in the middle of the car and then straightpiped to the back of the car
so is the cylinder the muffler, or the resonator?

i got the car fixed and they took the lunchbox out, but I'm hearing conflicting information from MANY sources.

How is one sure which one is which?
Muffler:
[Image: 0309mm_12z+Ford_Focus_ZX5+Undercar_Facto...uffler.jpg]

Resonator:
[Image: 0309mm_11z+Ford_Focus_ZX5+Undercar_Facto...onator.jpg]

Both:
[Image: 0309mm_15z+Ford_Focus_ZX5+Undercar_Cutti...onator.jpg]

You can see there hes at the resonator and you can just barely see the muffler where his wrist is (picture wise)

sounds like they chopped the muffer out and left the resonator, and that would be the reason the car isnt louder (resonator quiets down the exhaust)
^^^This
Pages: 1 2 3