FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: #1 Mis-fire
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Ok guys, I've been battling this for a while now, but not really known what to do.

2000 Wagon, 2.0L SPI.

So, I have a mis-fire on #1 as per the code (P0301).

Consequently, I changed plugs, leads, and even the coilpack (glad I did, old one had a split right by #1 lead point, showing rust from inside etc, so it needed replacing, even though it was $135.00). I'm using Bosch Platinum+4's ($41), Champion Niehoff leads($53). Total spent is a little over $220, and the problem still exists, but...I know it's not any of those components that are causing it.

Also threw in a bottle of injector cleaner about 1/2 tank ago.

So, now I need to know next logical thing to check. DTC Code shows this:
P0301 through P0310 - Misfire Detection Monitor. The misfire detection monitor is designed to monitor engine misfire and identify the specific cylinder in which the misfire has occurred. Misfire is defined as lack of combustion in a cylinder due to absence of spark, poor fuel metering, poor compression, or any other cause.
Ignition system
Fuel injectors
Running out of fuel
EVAP canister purge valve
Fuel pressure
Evaporative emission system
Base engine.

I've checked the wiring to the coil etc, and all looks good...looks new, along with the injector rail...which is still shiny. Coil electrical plug looks ok too. My guess is that if there was any problem with the coil supply wiring, I would get a mis-fire across all of them, not just #1.

When I first start her, she runs fine for a minute, then the revs lower, and she begins to vibrate a bit. If I floor it, she responds as normal, with no detectable mis-fire, but as soon as I slow down, or just roll along at like 40kph in 4th, I can feel the mis-fire. So it seems fine under load, but not at no-load. She does however 'pink' a little at first when I floor it.

Tappets seem a little noisy, but to be expected at 115K. I'll do them soon, probably next week-end I reckon. Can't really hear them with hood shut.
I have not done a compression test.
Would I know if I had a blown head gasket? I see no water in the oil, nor am I losing or burning oil...or losing water either.

So, input appreciated. What is the next thing to check? I don't mind spending the money, and I'm learning, but jeeze, I need to find out WTF it is.

Thanks all,
Scorp.
sorry this might sound like a dumb question, but you do reset the computer after instaling the new parts, right?

Also could it have anything to do with the compuer screwing things up?
would it be possible for you to swap injectors to see if you swap 1&3? lets see what happens with that.(not sure if that is possible or not, but i guess others can tell you if its doable or not.

No mo, it's not a dumb question. Not at all. And thanks for answering.

Yes, I have reset. Both ways, either be disconnecting battery for 30 mins, or using scan-tool.

I just checked the book of words (repair manual), and it doesn't seem too hard to pull the injectors on her...but I'd need to get new o-rings first, and the parts stores are not open on week-ends (I don't trust crappy tire for stuff like this). I think it's a good idea though...it would at least point me to a faulty injector. If I can't figure the problem, I'll probably try that next week-end.

Any more suggestions anyone?

S.
Can you hear it in the exhaust or is it more like the engine has a chug to it.

It sounds like a burnt valve to me. Has it ever been over heated?
No, can definitely hear it in exhaust at idle, no doubt about it.

I don't know if she's ever been overheated, as I've only had it a 16 months.

Wouldn't a compression test tell if it's a burnt valve? If mean, if the valve is releasing gasses, making the ignition in the chamber weaker, then wouldn't it show? I'm real tempted to go but a compression tester, only $30 at crappy tire.

And you must mean exhaust valve, right. If it was an inlet valve, I'd get blowback through the TB, no?
A compression test probibly wont show a problem if its a valve but it might.

You may need whats called a leak down test.... they are not cheap.

And ya if it were an inlet valve you would. It sounds like somthing on the exhaust side.
All hoses and such up to par?

Pcv valve?

Try swapping out injectors?
Check the wires going to the coilpack the 3 at the front, make sure they are not showing any wire. Allot of them need these pigtails replaced.

hardk0re,Jun 3 2007, 08:49 AM Wrote:Check the wires going to the coilpack the 3 at the front, make sure they are not showing any wire.  Allot of them need these pigtails replaced.
[right][snapback]240382[/snapback][/right]

I forgot abou that...didin't Flofocus chase that problem around for a while???
^^ Yeah, that was Nate's issue for a while and on the SPI they tend to get stressed quite easily, too. I forgot about that.
Thanks people, this is really great that I'm getting ideas to try.

PCV...hmmmm....I don't know how it would affect just one cylinder, but I'll give her a clean, just in case.....

Wiring is fine as I stated above. Checked it all, and it looks new...and if there was a problem, it would affect all cylinders....no?...if it's possible to only affect one cylinder, let me know and I'll do a closer inspection.

Injector swap...yes, mo suggested it, and I'll try it as soon as I get new o-rings for them. Knowing my luck, they'd break-up on extraction, and then I'd be skrewwwwwed.

Next....?

Thanks again.
PCV valve wont be the issue.
Could be coil pack or a fouled spark plug or wire.

Have you tried a cheap copper plug, and not the platinums?

I know my old Sable didn't like Bosch Platinums. Maybe try some straight from Ford. They're only about $2 a piece, if I remember correctly.

Ryan
Yes, she had the cheaper NYK plugs in before, so I doubt it's that. I went from $10 sets to $41 set...lol

I'm wondering...could the valve clearances cause this? She rattles a bit, so I've decided to do them now while the weather is good. Do you think it might be that?

I'm also swapping out injectors, like #1 to #3 etc, like Mo said, just to see.

I just dont see it being an injector...
If you need an oil change get your self some oil additive. We sell stuff at my work called wynns or somthing. Suppose to free up sticky valves. I used it and it smoothed my idle out.

As for the platinums I did learn somthing from Bob Jones APC here in london.
The original plug for the focus has a longer thread on it. Autolight Double platinums have the correct thread. They are suppose to sit a little more deep.... I use them and have no problems with em.

If you really wanna know whats wrong you need to have it looked at.
Ok, this is retarded!

So, today I decide to swap out injectors, as #1 is mis-firing. Before I do that, I connect the scan-tool, and read the codes.

It stated:

P0171 - System to0 Lean (Bank 1)

P0301 - Mis-fire detected on Cylinder #1

P0303 - Mis-fire detected on Cylinder #3

WTF! :blink:

So, I jaunt down to Crappytire and pick up a fuel filter, and replace it. Fire her up, go for a run. She seems better (shoulda seen the crap that came out of the tank side of the filter :o ), but still mis-firing.

So, I let her cool down so I can check plugs for fouling...decide to replace them with the older NGK plugs I have that were new a few months ago. I gap them, and install them instead of the Bosch Platinum+4's (this is due to Mason mentioning about plug length).

I restart her, reset the codes, and go for a run, then sit and let her idle while I read of running data being displayed on the computer screen.

A few minutes later, I get almost the same codes, except this time it's cylinder 4 mis-firing instead of 3, so:

P0301 - Mis-fire detected on Cylinder #1

P0304 - Mis-fire detected on Cylinder #4.

Now I'm really stumped :angry:

Work done so far:
New plugs, new leads, new coil-pack, new fuel filter, injector cleaner added to fuel. Checked wiring harness to coil-pack, looks good, no apparent breaks visually ;)

This is really confusing me....I was thinking fuel pump, but pressure at fuel rail is between 35 and 42psi....is that normal?

I have a .csv file (opens in Excel) report from the scan-tool. Can someone look at it for me and see if everything looks ok? You can d/l it from here http://download.yousendit.com/0D49C69E5DB7E5C9

Thanks.
Scorp.
Get your self a compession test done man..... <_<
Well made any head way?
The fuel pressure looks normal. Your fuel trims seem high 28%? And was this at idle because its showing your TP relative is 20%, again should be close to 0% because the tb should be closed. I'm used to seeing values from xcal2 and not these scanners they could be interpreting things different.

Do you hear any detonation(pinging)?
Well, Sunday I went for a quick run up freeway, foot hard down in 3rd up to around 120-125kph, then into 4th etc. Dropped her down the box again to third...did that a few times on the 7km run. When I got to destination, she appeared to be running fairly smoothly, but not perfectly.

So, on to today, went and got another bottle of injector cleaner, and went for 170Km run north, differing speeds on freeway, some WOT in 3rd etc, up/down gears like last time. Got off at Mont Avila ski hill, went around back roads there. When I stopped at Avila exit, she was purring like a kitten....and did so for the next 2 hours jaunt in the countryside and on way back home...no stalling, no low revs and vibration...sounded great to me.

So, I am going to clear codes tomorrow morning, and see what happens.

hardk0re, yes, I do hear detonations (pinking we used to call it), down in the low revs when pulling away etc...and I thought I heard a little bit tonight at about 50kph in 4th...which again is low revs.
Thanks for looking at the file. Yes, that reading was at idle...no pinging then...and I slowly revved up at one point, then let it drop down to idle again...which was a bit low.

What does the pinging mean sir?

Thanks again.
Pages: 1 2 3