Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deal Of The Day For Computer Guys
darkpuppet,Dec 2 2005, 11:35 AM Wrote:congratulations, you bumped quake 3 from 130FPS to 131FPS

:P
[right][snapback]159007[/snapback][/right]

Actually... Fear now plays on maximum settings. 4xaa 16xaf 1024x768 - with 75% of frames above 40 FPS! minimum 30.. max was 150something
05 Altima SE-R
98 Grand Cherokee 5.9: Flowmaster; K&N
05 300C 5.7: Sold
99 Civic SIR: Sold
03 Focus SVT: Sold
01 Focus ZX3: Sold
^^ Been there, done that when we had that blackout 2 years ago... the servers kept trucking on battery while the cooling went down. Yech.

We shut them all down accordingly, but MAN did it get hot in there.

I'm glad you like em :)

Congrats on fixing that memory issue... it confused me at first when I built my first S939 box on my Asus A8V-Deluxe (great idea, crappy execution of a board).

You can get a S939 Venice 3000+ for under 180 bucks, a good S939 NForce 4-based motherboard for about 100, 2 sticks of Samsung 512MB DDR400 for 50-60 each, and a new HD for under 100. Add in a generic case and PSU for about 60, DVD burner for 50... and find your own OS / buy an OEM for 150.

That's approximately 610 bucks for a basic system with a 80-100GB HD and everything before taxes. Go with a real MS OS (if Linux isn't your thing) for under 800 before tax.

That's a box with integrated video, so add about 150 for a decent, mid-weight video card.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
paolo,Dec 2 2005, 12:37 PM Wrote:will this be any good for my pentium 2 @ 266 mhz?
[right][snapback]159009[/snapback][/right]
No.

But you could get a slightly larger peice of aluminum and place it on your P2 and then you wont even need a fan! Except on the case.. cuz there needs to be airflow still.

That said, man, get a new PC. I have a PIII 866 MHz I got for free from someone, I'm sure you could fidn the same deal. Find someone upgrading and take their old machine if they'll give it to you.

The PIII is claimed, giving it to my grandparents, they have a PIII 450MHz... only a slight jump, but the advantage is it's an old Dell, which means it's built for er... less knowledged people. Thus it'll go forever (more or less). I could give them an Athlon 1800+ but it's on an ECS board and well, everytime I give one away they die. They're fine when I own them, but they don't like to leave me.

So yeah... spend a few dollars, find deal on ebay or something... 266 MHz is hurting...
Silver '05 Saabaru 9-2X Aero
Aka,Dec 2 2005, 12:03 PM Wrote:
paolo,Dec 2 2005, 12:37 PM Wrote:will this be any good for my pentium 2 @ 266 mhz?
[right][snapback]159009[/snapback][/right]
No.

But you could get a slightly larger peice of aluminum and place it on your P2 and then you wont even need a fan! Except on the case.. cuz there needs to be airflow still.

That said, man, get a new PC. I have a PIII 866 MHz I got for free from someone, I'm sure you could fidn the same deal. Find someone upgrading and take their old machine if they'll give it to you.

The PIII is claimed, giving it to my grandparents, they have a PIII 450MHz... only a slight jump, but the advantage is it's an old Dell, which means it's built for er... less knowledged people. Thus it'll go forever (more or less). I could give them an Athlon 1800+ but it's on an ECS board and well, everytime I give one away they die. They're fine when I own them, but they don't like to leave me.

So yeah... spend a few dollars, find deal on ebay or something... 266 MHz is hurting...
[right][snapback]159021[/snapback][/right]

Hahaha, i'm pretty sure he's joking
05 Altima SE-R
98 Grand Cherokee 5.9: Flowmaster; K&N
05 300C 5.7: Sold
99 Civic SIR: Sold
03 Focus SVT: Sold
01 Focus ZX3: Sold
NOS2Go4Me,Dec 2 2005, 12:58 PM Wrote:^^ Been there, done that when we had that blackout 2 years ago... the servers kept trucking on battery while the cooling went down. Yech.

We shut them all down accordingly, but MAN did it get hot in there.

I'm glad you like em :)
[right][snapback]159017[/snapback][/right]
About two months ago, here at the office, the transformer went outside the building. So we had no power for most of the day. The server kept running, but there was no A/C, and justlike any other company, they throw all the stuff in basically a closet. So it just kept getting hotter, and no one thought about it. Than when the power came back, the network didn't work and no one knew why. They ended up stealing someones PC, swapping a few parts and plugged it in as a temporary replacement for part of the network. They couldn't figure it out. I just kept laughing... it was so obvious what had happened.

Took them forever to get the network back up to normal too. *sigh* good times
scoobasteve,Dec 2 2005, 01:05 PM Wrote:Hahaha, i'm pretty sure he's joking
[right][snapback]159023[/snapback][/right]
Oh. Ok.

A friend of mine went into college with a Pentium 166 MHz. I told him that was unacceptable, and gave him the best computer I could at the time, which was a t-bird 900 MHz.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Computer Guys I Need Help Plz habmann 12 3,471 03-22-2007, 02:03 PM
Last Post: habmann
  For You Computer Guys smith21 7 2,328 07-22-2005, 03:44 AM
Last Post: ANTHONYD