Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deal Of The Day For Computer Guys
scoobasteve,Dec 1 2005, 10:37 AM Wrote:Nice numbers... OCZ platinum is fantastic...  the only thing is the 2gb dual channel kit runs as 2-3-2-5...

If i try to run it at 2-2-2-5 its unstable... bleh.

and at 2-3-2-5 - at 400mhz... i can only pull 5100 mb/s

I'm going to go with the zalman. i figure i'll start with a more efficent heatsink  and possibly do a fan mod to it. 

With my fan on full  the cpu is only 4 degrees above case temp...
which is 15 degrees above ambient.  I think i need a bigger case because that geforce is heating it up something fierce
[right][snapback]158770[/snapback][/right]

You need to turn your 2T command rate to a 1T command rate.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
Nice! I'll try that when i get home.
05 Altima SE-R
98 Grand Cherokee 5.9: Flowmaster; K&N
05 300C 5.7: Sold
99 Civic SIR: Sold
03 Focus SVT: Sold
01 Focus ZX3: Sold
your room must be freezing. 24C on the harddrive? mine all run.. well 40C right now, but my room seems to be way too hot.. they're normally at 34C... someone must have closed my door (again I'm not home). 3 in the one case, right next to a 120mm fan. How on earth do you keep them 24C I think my room is normally 28 alone... windows open ... 7 PCs on... and the heat on (cuz I can't turn the damn radiator off!!!)
Silver '05 Saabaru 9-2X Aero
I've got three intake fans, two exhaust fans (1 rear-facing, one top blowhole).

All are 80mm fans, about 40-50 CFM each. *scratches head* I don't run them on a fan controller anymore (I had a Zalman 6-port, it was nice but a pain, too). Not sure what to suggest. I wish I had a thermometer so I could show you that the room is like 18-20C.

It's all about the airflow, no matter who made the case or how many fans you have overall. As long as you're drawing in room-temperature air and exhausting hot air, you're golden.

The only other thing that nominally helps is the Nikao 520W PSU with two 80mm fans on a single built-in rheostat - one intake facing the case contents (down-facing) and one exhaust at the standard rear PSU fan position. It pushes a decent amount of air as well.

Click below for a good side shot. The sheathed cables are the only other thing I can think of that would be (obviously) conducive to a good amount of airflow in the case.

Make sure all your fans are actually turning at a good clip and not running on 5V like some bargain manufacturers do when they wire the Molex connectors :rolleyes:

[Image: th_SA400027.jpg]

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
damn!!! speedfan shows 40-47 on all my harddrives :(
05 Altima SE-R
You've got some serious airflow issues, dude.

I think i need more powerful fans.... or a cooler room.

i had the same setup in that case a few months back. in another room. my 3000+ (s754) was idling at 28
05 Altima SE-R
I have my fans all running 5 and 7v on purpose. I re-wired the one to do this on purpose. My machine is built to be silent.

That said, there's plenty of airflow in my case, 5 120mm fans and one 80mm.
Yarrr, sounds like i need more airflow. tonight when i'm installing the zalman i'll take a couple pictures. but i'm not too sure how i can improve with my airflow... all the cables are rounded and tucked away. maybe i'll reposition some of the fans...
05 Altima SE-R
I prefer flat cables, they're much nicer to route around the case. And they can lay flat against it.
I've got a mix, with SATA being natively nice in a case and all my Nikao cables are pre-sheathed from the factory. My IDE cabling to my swap drive and DVD-+ RW are also sheathed in black rubber... for that extra bit of data protection.

The only rat's nest is my assortment of fan and light cabling... but that's wrapped in elec. tape for the most part.

Just start from the intake (low and side, low and from the front) and work towards the rear (higher and at the classic rear vent position, top blowhole).

You CAN run a rheostat bank for individual control, but I just choose not to and I eat the extra noise. I use the one big, gaudy 3.5" rheostat for my Venus 12 as all my other PCI-slot risers at the rear are taken up with UV / Neon light switches. :rolleyes: it came like that from my buddy and I was too damn lazy and in need of a new box/board to rewire it all.

Actually, if you have a fan slot and a grille allowing an intake fan right at your 3.5" drive slots (see above pic and earlier pic with funky Friday 13th fan grille), that sometimes makes all the difference in the world.

Also, in the case of a heatfarm video card, a low-mounted side fan (OEM or custom) can be a big difference too. Now would be a bad time to tell you my OCed X800XL idles at 32C... *runs away, dodges projectile fruit*

my X800GT (ugh I got XT and GT mixed up when buying) idles at 40C overclocked, but 37C underclocked, so it's mostly a lack of air. I do however have a Zalman VF-700 on it, which took it down a lot from stock. The stock fan was both loud and it would idle at like 60C, than rise up to 90C underload, it was totally crazy. Now it never exceeds 60C, still a bit warm, but MUCH better.

Anyway........
Guess my door is open right now.

CPU: 40C (full load both cores)
HDD: 29-30C
Case Ambient: 27C
GPU: 32C (idle)
GPU RAM?: 29C
CPU Fan: 1800 RPM
PSU Fan: 800 RPM
NB Fan: 5000 RPM

I think my HDDs are so hot because they have one 120mm pulling air overthem, instead of pushing. If you know the P180 design you'll know why. HDDs in lower bay, using fan between HDDs and PSU to draw air in over them.

Edit: Temps have dropped some more ... lol gonna be coooold in my room when I get back.
Problems somewhat solved...

I ended up getting that zalman. re positioning a couple fans

Now.

Idle - CPU = 37-44. Load 44-49
Harddrives are all under 40..

Next step is replacing the crappy ULTRA SILENT thermaltake fans that came with the case...

19cfm = :(
05 Altima SE-R
air temperature schmairtemperatures..

my shuttle server, running old 3GHZ HT, 200GB hdd, radeon 9700.. the case temp is 50C.

processor temp on vid card: 47C, processor temp on CPU: 46C.. who needs airflow?
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

darkpuppet,Dec 2 2005, 10:57 AM Wrote:air temperature schmairtemperatures..

my shuttle server, running old 3GHZ HT, 200GB hdd, radeon 9700.. the case temp is 50C.

processor temp on vid card: 47C, processor temp on CPU:  46C.. who needs airflow?
[right][snapback]158993[/snapback][/right]

That's some good heatsink action going right there.

50C ambient temperature... one of the reasons I never used a Shuttle.

You know what heat does to bearing packs in a car, right? Imagine that @ 7200 RPM for each hard drive concerned.

There's more than one reason server rooms are air conditioned, although it all goes back to the same root - heat.

oh ya.... i changed my command rate to 1t. upped the votage and lowered the timings to 2-2-2-5 - stock 400mhz ddr i hit 6184mb/s
05 Altima SE-R
congratulations, you bumped quake 3 from 130FPS to 131FPS

:P

will this be any good for my pentium 2 @ 266 mhz?
My other ride is your Mom
NOS2Go4Me,Dec 2 2005, 11:19 AM Wrote:That's some good heatsink action going right there.

50C ambient temperature... one of the reasons I never used a Shuttle.

You know what heat does to bearing packs in a car, right? Imagine that @ 7200 RPM for each hard drive concerned.

There's more than one reason server rooms are air conditioned, although it all goes back to the same root - heat.
[right][snapback]158999[/snapback][/right]

the temps drop up to 10C in the winter time... and 2 shuttle boxes running for about 5 years, I've only lost one HDD.. and that was onboard controller/power failure.

I won't deny that heat is your enemy, but you'd be surprised how much punishment hardware running within spec will take.

now, server farms.. they're cooled for a reason.. It's because they have a much higher machine-airspace ratio. If you've ever walked into a server farm where the airconditioning failed, you'd know what I mean... it's like opening a direct portal to equador.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Computer Guys I Need Help Plz habmann 12 3,467 03-22-2007, 02:03 PM
Last Post: habmann
  For You Computer Guys smith21 7 2,316 07-22-2005, 03:44 AM
Last Post: ANTHONYD