Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fuel Economy
Hey
Im heading out east on friday and wasn't to know if some people could give me a few tips on how to be fuel efficient. I know that I shouldn't be driving on the 401 in 4th gear, even though i like responsivness.
Cheers
[SIZE=x-small][COLOR=gray][FONT=Arial][I] Killa Cam ST
the slower you drive in 5th gear, the better mileage you'll get.

also, cruise control! stable speed = better fuel mileage than constantly changing your speed.
2003 Focus ZX5 Racecar/Perma broke/Storage
2011 Volkswagen Jetta Daily Driver
(07-07-2010, 12:22 AM)KillaCamST Wrote: Hey
Im heading out east on friday and wasn't to know if some people could give me a few tips on how to be fuel efficient. I know that I shouldn't be driving on the 401 in 4th gear, even though i like responsivness.
Cheers

Correct tire pressure - fresh oil (5W-20)- follow the up-shift light - coast to stop sign or stop light - lose weight (the car that is ... don't carry anything you don't need) - tailgate big rigs.
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
Ditching a fat girlfriend will help with the mileage and save wear and tear on the suspension.
TEAM PITA: Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.
*Magnetic Metallic 2015 Focus ST* *Red Candy Metallic 2012 F150 SuperCrew*
*Supercharged Roush Phase 2 Kona Blue 2012 Mustang GT*
drive the speed limit even though you might not want to, 5th gear the whole time

and as said, oil change b4, check tire pressures as you go and make sure your air filter is clean (if you have stock one then i cant really check)
2007 ZX4 2.0l unaturally aspirated
FSwerks stage 2 Turbo kit, Cosworth Intake Manifold, 3" custom HKS turbo back
regular stage 2 @10ps : 232whp/219wtq
stage 2 plus @ 13psi: 278whp/229wtq
Stage 2 plus @15psi: 296whp/240wtq

2013 Focus ST Tuxedo Black - The daily
Check your plug wires and plugs to make sure they are in good operating order as well.
Sold:2001 SE 2.0L SPI w/60mm TB, Steeda Shorty Intake.

Active: 2007 SES Hatch, Motegi MR7 Rims with 215/45ZR17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, debadged, black painted calipers and drums, RS Knob, CFM Short Throw, Billet E-Brake, CFM Focus pedals, MBRP Exhaust, XCal2, FS Front and Rear Strut Tower Bars, Diamond Plate Floor Mats and Sills, Alpine MP3 Deck, Alpine V-Power 300w Amp, Pioneer IMPP Sub, AlpineType-S door speakers, VF Engineering Rear Motor Mount, F2 RS Spoiler, Tokico D-spec shocks, HTP Cross Brace, EBC Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Russell SS Brake Lines, RS Wheel, SVT Blue Seats, Vibrant 2.5" Race Highflow Cat, CFM UDP. Rear SVT bumper to come.

Active: 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TJ [LJ], Volant CAI, 32" BFG Mud Terrains, and a whole bunch of goodies. Big Grin
4th gear probably means its an auto. Light on the gas, even when to pass.
You should be fine. Put the tires about 1 or 2 PSI higher than what your door jam says too. Not higher than that!!!!!!

In my modded Duratec Auto Lastnight I did 204 HWY KM's and only sucked back 75% of a quarter of a tank. Cruising from 120KM to 145KM.

You should be fine.
Enjoy the road and keep the shiny side up. Big GrinBig Grin
Currently - 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 4X4 Work Truck. Needs a Super Charger
2012 F150 Eco Boost Work Truck < Died several times and now it's some farmer problem.
No Longer Sleeping/In Surgery Having A Heart Transplant - 2005 Focus ZX5 Sonic Blue Modified
Sold - 1992 Astro Van CS Sky Blue Stock
Sold - 1994 Excel 2DR HB Teal First Car

DON'T use cruise control...especially on hills. BUT, you must be good with the throttle foot...
If I use cruise, I get on the gas and speed up on the down hills so then the cruise doesn't have to mash the throttle 3/4 to the floor to try and maintain speed on the up hill (major gas waster).

With an auto as well, don't lift all the way off the throttle when slowing (on the highway)...this unlocks the direct output in the tranny...if not, when you go to speed up again, your slipping with the viscous drive for a few seconds before it locks back up again.

And momentum is everything. Which means stay off the brakes. Every time you slow with the brakes means you gotta burn gas to get that speed back up again. This becomes second nature when your looking WAY down the road, anticipating traffic and lights.

The most effective way to save gas in a car is your driving habits. But I also like to over inflate my tires a little, stay out of the ruts on the road, draft a little, don't use the AC and turn the engine off when waiting at the drive thru/waiting for a train/stuck in grid lock...
Get a TDI.
i'm going to Quebec City this weekend. ITs 800Kms from my place one way. I like to see if i can get away with one tank for fuel round trip! Smile

i know no way!
"Coming together is a beginning, staying together is progress, and working together is success."
--Henry Ford

00 Focus ZX3 Silver- Sold
01 Focus ZX3 Green- Sold
01 Focus ZTS Red- Sold
03 Focus ZTW Green Sold
04 Escape LTD Silver- Sold
05 Freestyle LTD Black-Sold
02 Honda CRV EX-L-Sold
02 VW Jetta GLS TDI Silver-Sold

11 VW Jetta TDI 6spd Mine Smile
10 VW Golf Highline DSG- wrote off Sad

(07-07-2010, 08:16 AM)WuNgUnSVT Wrote: DON'T use cruise control...especially on hills. BUT, you must be good with the throttle foot...
If I use cruise, I get on the gas and speed up on the down hills so then the cruise doesn't have to mash the throttle 3/4 to the floor to try and maintain speed on the up hill (major gas waster).

With an auto as well, don't lift all the way off the throttle when slowing (on the highway)...this unlocks the direct output in the tranny...if not, when you go to speed up again, your slipping with the viscous drive for a few seconds before it locks back up again.

And momentum is everything. Which means stay off the brakes. Every time you slow with the brakes means you gotta burn gas to get that speed back up again. This becomes second nature when your looking WAY down the road, anticipating traffic and lights.

The most effective way to save gas in a car is your driving habits. But I also like to over inflate my tires a little, stay out of the ruts on the road, draft a little, don't use the AC and turn the engine off when waiting at the drive thru/waiting for a train/stuck in grid lock...

The idea behind using cruise control is to avoid the inevitable speed-creep ... one minute you're doing a hundred and the next you're doing your usual 120 ... it's really difficult to maintain a slow and steady speed without it. Yes, it burns a bit more fuel trying to maintain speed up hills, but we tend to do that ourselves ... OTH it saves you fuel by letting up on the gas going down ... something that the human right foot is loathe to do ... I've tested it myself ... and for me - I can't beat the cruise when it comes to saving fuel.
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
Yeah I used the cruise while down in the US (to keep myself out of trouble) and ended up averaging 30MPG for the trip with the A/C on.

NefCanuck
God, how I wish more people would use their cruise control... It get's tiring having to play the yo-yo speed game with those who haven't found the cruise control button.

I set it to my minimum speed and then I don't have to worry about being one of those knuckleheads who speeds up and slows down excessively and needlessly.
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

(07-07-2010, 11:46 AM)darkpuppet Wrote: I set it to my minimum speed and then I don't have to worry about being one of those knuckleheads who speeds up and slows down excessively and needlessly.

Nothing more annoying than passing and being passed by the same darned car 6 times an hour. Like dude, pick a speed already. I don't really care if you're in front of me or behind me...just choose one...
(07-07-2010, 01:35 PM)OAC_Sparky Wrote: Nothing more annoying than passing and being passed by the same darned car 6 times an hour. Like dude, pick a speed already. I don't really care if you're in front of me or behind me...just choose one...

I dunno, as long as the yo yo isn't doing anything dangerous (like speeding up to pass you like a bat out of hell and then slamming on the brakes once they are in front of you) then I say let the yo-yo's act like yo-yo's

It's when they're unsafe doing it that I have an issue, otherwise I just laugh at their stupidity Tongue

NefCanuck
(07-08-2010, 01:44 AM)NefCanuck Wrote: I dunno, as long as the yo yo isn't doing anything dangerous (like speeding up to pass you like a bat out of hell and then slamming on the brakes once they are in front of you) then I say let the yo-yo's act like yo-yo's

It's when they're unsafe doing it that I have an issue, otherwise I just laugh at their stupidity Tongue

NefCanuck

I've got better things to do than play "leapfrog". I set my cruise control at 119kmh on the highway. What's annoying is when you pass someone doing 118, then they speed up and pass you and then slow down to 118 again.

I put on a lot of highway kms, it's bad enough on the 2-lane 401 with tractor-trailers taking 10 minutes to pass one another (because one is doing 99.5kmh and the other is doing 99.55kmh) then you get Mr. "I can't hold a steady speed guy" boxing you in.
Well off topic now, so I might as well add the fucking idiots that stay in the middle lane...especially if your doing 101 Km/h.
I don't care if your doing 149 Km/h, move back into the right lane after passing, because you'll eventually end up holding somebody up, and cause the hammer lane to be over-congested.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fuel Economy ZTS_DJ 27 7,320 09-06-2008, 05:31 AM
Last Post: Scorcher000
  Had My Best Fuel Economy Yet Yesterday NOS2Go4Me 30 10,311 07-21-2007, 02:48 AM
Last Post: Gravter
  Fuel Economy FocusGuy7476 10 2,754 05-30-2007, 10:08 PM
Last Post: svt_rodg
  2.0l Duratec Fuel Economy Update NOS2Go4Me 10 3,591 01-03-2007, 12:37 AM
Last Post: Flofocus
  Fuel Economy! jamistry 41 19,985 07-28-2006, 12:55 PM
Last Post: Drivesthebeast
  Udp Fuel Economy Update NOS2Go4Me 4 1,891 03-30-2006, 01:20 PM
Last Post: MICHAEL
  My Fuel Economy Sucks ZTS_DJ 14 4,855 11-21-2005, 04:26 PM
Last Post: naz