Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When Does That New Cell Phone Law Take Effect?
I bet those skilled enough to talk and drive sans handsfree are driving ATX cars.

which some folks might find ironic
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

I still think as I've said before, it ultimately comes down to the training that a new driver gets and the fact that once passed, until you're old, you're fine, unless you catastrophically screw up.

Add to that the many other things that drivers feel that the "need" to do while driving (Remember when there were no cell phones/iPods/whatever?) and you the receipe for disaster that we have brewing on our roads.

NefCanuck
Wed Apr. 22 2009 3:24:28 PM CP24

Ont. ban on driving distractions passes final reading

TORONTO — Get your hands off those cellphones, Ontario drivers -- a new law that bans using hand-held devices to talk, email, or send text messages while behind the wheel was passed Wednesday.

The new rules, which won't come into effect until at least the fall, include a fine of up to $500 as the province joins other jurisdictions in cracking down on drivers using the devices.

"What we're trying to do is to avoid distractions while people are driving -- those distractions being caused, in this case, by electronic devices that are hand-held," said Transportation Minister Jim Bradley, adding he has no plans to ban eating or drinking coffee in cars.

The law doesn't affect the use of hands-free devices such as Bluetooths or using cellphones for 911 calls, but it does ban portable video games, MP3 players and DVD players.

Global positioning systems will be allowed, as long as they're properly secured to the dashboard.

There are no demerit points attached to the bill, but drivers who place others at risk by using one of the banned devices can also be charged under existing careless driving laws.

The law exempts firefighters, police and paramedics, but several other groups have also asked for a pass.

The Transportation Ministry is considering additional exemptions for devices used to dispatch, track and monitor commercial drivers, but said more changes are unlikely.

"There are organizations that have come forward to say (they) believe they should have an exemption," Bradley said. "We'll have to evaluate that very carefully.

"We will be extremely reluctant as a government to grant any exemptions unless a very compelling case could be made for that."

Bradley wouldn't give a specific date for the ban to take effect, noting it still needs to go through certain legislative processes and an education period so the public learns the rules.

But he said drivers can expect the change to come "later this year, possibly in the fall."

NDP Leader Andrea Horwath said she supported the bill, noting if people must communicate while driving, there are hands-free gadgets that allow them to do so.

"Technology exists that can prevent people from having to use a hand-held device, and I think that's where the biggest concern is in terms of distraction," she said.

Ontario is the fourth province to enact such a ban, following Newfoundland and Labrador, Quebec and Nova Scotia.

In Newfoundland and Labrador, which in 2003 became the first province to ban the use of hand-held cellphones, the penalties range from $11 to $400 plus four demerit points.

Quebec motorists face fines of $115 plus the loss of three demerit points, while Nova Scotia's fines start at $164.50 for a first offence and grow to $337 for subsequent offences.

In the first year after Nova Scotia made it illegal for drivers to use hand-held cellphones, close to 2,000 tickets were handed out by police.

In Quebec, the latest statistics show at least 12,000 tickets have been handed out by Montreal and provincial police since last July. Hand-held devices were banned on April 1, 2008, but Quebec drivers were given a three-month grace period.

Manitoba introduced legislation in November that proposed fines of at least $190 for using hand-held cellphones or for smoking while there are children in a vehicle, while Prince Edward Island is also considering a ban.

DruZX3 You Tube Page
My Rides on Car Domain

2001 Ford Focus ZX3 - Daily Driver
2008 Lincoln MKX Limited Edition - Grocery Getter
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600 - Rode and Sold
2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade - Offroaded and Sold
2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X - R.I.P. Electrical Fire
2000 Ford Focus ZX3 - Traded in Now DrunkinMonkeys Car
2003 Ford Taurus Wagon - Inherited Drove and Sold
2000 Ford Focus ZX3 Turbo - Award Winning 336 WHP - Parted and Scraped
1990 Ford Festiva - My 1st Car

[Image: ZX3PixelCarEngineVIEW.png]
ZX3_2NV,Apr 22 2009, 04:30 PM Wrote:The law doesn't affect the use of hands-free devices such as Bluetooths
[right][snapback]285628[/snapback][/right]

What the flying f*** is a BLUETOOTHS? When will complete and utter morons stop writing tech-sensitive copy?

We don't call a gas pedal an accelermerader (unless you're from Scarberia) or the steering wheel a "spinny thing" (again, see note about Scarberia). Why the f*** does this stuff pass muster?
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
Adam - please take up pot smoking.
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
Flofocus,Apr 22 2009, 04:41 PM Wrote:Adam - please take up pot smoking.
[right][snapback]285632[/snapback][/right]

....and stop smoking crack :lol:
2002 Ford Focus ZTS (Gave it away)
125whp/129wtq
2006 Subaru Impreza WRX with JDM 6 speed
207whp/273wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 2)13.9@99mph
320whp/330wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 3)
352whp/360wtq Dynojet
13.3@106mph
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat
2008 Honda CBR600RR "Silver Bullet" R.I.P.
2009 Honda CBR600RR "To Punish & Enslave"
2001 Honda CBR F4i Stunt bike "Burn the Rubber, not your soul"
2013 China 90cc dirt bike
NOS2Go4Me,Apr 22 2009, 05:39 PM Wrote:
ZX3_2NV,Apr 22 2009, 04:30 PM Wrote:The law doesn't affect the use of hands-free devices such as Bluetooths

What the flying f*** is a BLUETOOTHS? When will complete and utter morons stop writing tech-sensitive copy?

We don't call a gas pedal an accelermerader (unless you're from Scarberia) or the steering wheel a "spinny thing" (again, see note about Scarberia). Why the f*** does this stuff pass muster?
[right][snapback]285631[/snapback][/right]
you dont know what a blue tooth is? are you serious? your suppost to be a big computer nerd on here too, thats quite interesting.

My other ride is your Mom
paolo,Apr 23 2009, 02:13 AM Wrote:you dont know what a blue tooth is? are you serious? your suppost to be a big computer nerd on here too, thats quite interesting.
[right][snapback]285656[/snapback][/right]

:rolleyes:

Speaking of drugs.....................

It wasn't the greatest example of it but do look up "facetious" Paulo; the rest of the class got it.

2001 Focus ZTS 2004 WRX
"I'm just here for the camping"
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=687620231
TEAM P.I.T.A. FTW!
paolo,Apr 23 2009, 03:13 AM Wrote:

you dont know what a blue tooth is? are you serious? your suppost to be a big computer nerd on here too, thats quite interesting.

You didn't know that the correct way of writing it would be, "devices using Bluetooth wireless technology" or "Bluetooth-enabled devices for hands-free communications"?

Jeez, I thought you were the Rogers shill / cell phone know-it-all wannabe on here, that's quite interesting.

Actually, you're a prime example of sheeple. When people horribly butcher the English language, the "sheeple" stand idly by and watch the whole thing take place.

Back to your "OMG UNLOCKED iPHONE 3G SOSOSOSOOSOSOPRO" for sale posts.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
NOS2Go4Me,Apr 23 2009, 07:08 AM Wrote:
paolo,Apr 23 2009, 03:13 AM Wrote:

You didn't know that the correct way of writing it would be, "devices using Bluetooth wireless technology" or "Bluetooth-enabled devices for hands-free communications"?

Jeez, I thought you were the Rogers shill / cell phone know-it-all wannabe on here, that's quite interesting.

Actually, you're a prime example of sheeple. When people horribly butcher the English language, the "sheeple" stand idly by and watch the whole thing take place.

Back to your "OMG UNLOCKED iPHONE 3G SOSOSOSOOSOSOPRO" for sale posts.
[right][snapback]285658[/snapback][/right]

Who teeched you and zts2001 how to spoke engrish?
The key points of this law are pretty good. Handsets should not be used while driving, but if you own a Bluetooth or bluetooths, you can answer calls while driving is a good exception to the law, peopel who have phones with no bluetooth in them should considering upgrading to a new one, or suck it up and dont answer your phone when it rings and your behind the wheel of the car. I also like how they made the exception to gps'es which should be mounted on the dash or wind shield of the car. Cellphones with GPS'es are a no no which kinda sucks but those are not solely designed for constant gps usage it even says on google maps "not to use while driving or operating a motor vehicle"

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question For The Cell Phone Guru's ? dlb 9 3,344 12-06-2012, 02:20 AM
Last Post: paolo
  Need a new cell phone -- confusion. torradan 12 5,852 10-08-2010, 08:03 AM
Last Post: NefCanuck
  Cell Phone Possible Cause Of Accident In Toronto.. darkpuppet 17 6,894 04-09-2008, 11:32 AM
  Cell Phone Question dlb 3 1,964 01-01-2008, 03:35 AM
Last Post: dlb
  Cheaper Cell Phone Plans In The Future? D-Dub 9 3,279 11-30-2007, 12:36 PM
Last Post: Frost__2001
  Cell Phone Help Asap! bluetoy 11 3,310 10-29-2006, 01:33 PM
  What Cell Phone Should I Buy Crazirich 33 10,494 09-27-2006, 01:50 AM
Last Post: Crazirich
  Cell Phone Question BerinG 22 8,507 08-21-2006, 12:12 PM
Last Post: darkpuppet
  Bell Mobility Cell Phone Issues? microbunny 2 1,674 07-12-2006, 04:16 PM