Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using Wireharness Adapter With Aftermarket Head
For those of you who've installed head units into your focus, did you use a wiring harness adapter? I picked one up, and wouldn't mind soldering it up to the headunit before I go install..but I have a couple of questions.

1) The power (and grounds for that matter) are extremely long, and have a 10amp inline fuse. Now the wiring harness adapter has ground and constant power pins. Can the stock harness/fuse handle the headunit that's protected by a 10amp fuse?

2) This wiring harness adapter also has leads for power antenna and amp remote power. The head unit has a remote power switch with a spade connector that the instructions mention to wire to the amp, and/or antenna booster. I would assume I skip wiring up the remote AMP wire on the harness adapter because I don't have the audiophile package, but instead wire the remote amp power to the power antenna lead on the harness adapter. Is this correct?

Any information I can gather before I rip the stock unit out is greatly appreciated.

thanks!
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

Darkpuppet, you can snip the wires down in your adapter! Infact, you can snip the ones on your aftermarket HU harness shorter too if you want. As for the inline fuse, you can keep it there, it wouldnt hurt. The stock harness in your car will handle the current from the headunit, so it wouldnt be a problem.
The extra wires for the power antenna and power amp are there because some models of ford cars may have needed them at one point, but in your case, you dont need them. You only need the one remote turn on wire on the back of your HU, and you can just feed it to your trunk.

Hope this helps.
My other ride is your Mom
you don't need all the wires.. i left out a couple when i threw in a MP3 player..
Hey thanks for the info Paolo.. totally intend on trimming things down a bit.. just want to make sure, since his is my 1st install in a long time...

I had also talked with Ddub earlier, and straightened this out. the remote amp and power antenna leads are unnecessary in the focus..

The only thing that really got me was the length of the power ground leads. and towards the very ends of them, the ferrite core and fuse...

Think I might cut them down and move the ferrite and fuse closer to the head unit...

thanks for the help! Tomorrow is going to be a fun day :-)

There is another lead on the back of your stock radio (I think it was a green wire or orange wire) that is hooked up to the transmission to allow the stock radio to adjust the volume when the engine revs up (more noise.) You can skip that with your aftermarket HU. If your stock unit is like mine, this will be the only wire that is single - ie not part of the main connectors.

2003 ZX3 French Blue; 25/35% tint; shorty antenna; apc clear corners; JVC MP3/CD HU; Sherwood 180W BP Series AMP; Alpine 11-band DSP with BBE processing; 4x Pioneer TS-A6870R 6" x 8" speakers; custom-made 4AWG engine grounding wires
xappie,Mar 16 2004, 05:07 AM Wrote:There is another lead on the back of your stock radio (I think it was a green wire or orange wire) that is hooked up to the transmission to allow the stock radio to adjust the volume when the engine revs up (more noise.) You can skip that with your aftermarket HU. If your stock unit is like mine, this will be the only wire that is single - ie not part of the main connectors.
so that's what that wire was for...

either way, it's homeless now.. :P

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Aftermarket head unit in 2008 Krusty Driver 2 2,831 09-13-2014, 08:01 AM
Last Post: 03zx5
  Adapter Bezel, Wiring Adapter darkpuppet 10 3,549 03-06-2004, 12:26 AM
Last Post: darkpuppet