Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Netflix - Coming to Canada
I was wondering if anyone has used this service?

http://www.netflix.ca/ThankYou
I used to use the mail order portion when I lived in NY. For the price, it can't be beat. Haven't used the streaming deal, but I'll ask a couple of friends to see how it is. I used to use the Amazon service sometimes with my Tivo, and it was excellent. Order a couple movies, and they'd be waiting on my list when I got home from work.
The new: 2013 Tangerine Scream ST
The old: 2005 ZX4 - MBRP 2.25", Marcy Motorsport CAI. SCT Tuning, Eibach Pro-System
--
Team PITA
I currently use Rogers Video Direct, it's run by Zip.ca, the canadian equivalent of netflix.

it's great. I even cancelled half my cable since I just get a new DVD or 3 every week to watch my favourite shows on.. commercial free.
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

(07-20-2010, 11:01 PM)darkpuppet Wrote: I currently use Rogers Video Direct, it's run by Zip.ca, the canadian equivalent of netflix.

it's great. I even cancelled half my cable since I just get a new DVD or 3 every week to watch my favourite shows on.. commercial free.

I've never heard of this service before, just signed up. How many vids can you really get and return in a month?
well, the single dvd deal for $9.99/mo is hard, because you can only get through one DVD a week with shipping... so maybe 4 dvds a month... which is cheaper than renting.

and of course, you pay 3 times more for 3 dvds at a time, you can get 3 times as many dvds through in a month.

which I find great for TV shows... I've gotten caught up on Titus, Chappelle Show, My Name is Earl, Better off Ted and starting Robot Chicken and Two and a Half Men..

which is way more TV than I actually watch on my current cable plan -- at half the price per month.
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

Have not used netflix as yet but I have heard that their collection is not yet very good. Have been using dvdlink.ca since past few months and I am really very satisfied with it. They have as many as 22000 + titles to choose from.
Yes, the collection is terrible so far.. Not worth it yet.
2009 Focus SES Black Sedan Mods:

FSWerks CAI / F2 Header (non-fouler mod) custom flex / 2.5" FSwerks Stealth Stainless exhaust / FSWerks X3 tune / Autolite 104's / Steeda Strut Tower Bar / FRPP 1.5" drop / FSWerks FLS Bar / H&R 24mm RSB / MOOG endlinks / AEM wideband AFR gauge / 8000K HID Bi-xenon 55W / Tint / 17" Ford Racing Rally Wheels in Black / Coupe tails / Black grille

124whp/129wtq
i have had it for January so far, and i really like it. haven't used TV since new years! there's old top gear episodes on it and enough movies to get me by for sure. so far so good for 8$ a month.

the only draw back is you better have high max DL capacity for your internet, i had to boost mine from 15gb to 125 GB because in the first week i used it all up
2007 ZX4 2.0l unaturally aspirated
FSwerks stage 2 Turbo kit, Cosworth Intake Manifold, 3" custom HKS turbo back
regular stage 2 @10ps : 232whp/219wtq
stage 2 plus @ 13psi: 278whp/229wtq
Stage 2 plus @15psi: 296whp/240wtq

2013 Focus ST Tuxedo Black - The daily
That's why NetFlix is going to fail in Canada IMO. With the ratcheting down of the amounts that people can download, people are left with paying for higher data packages / overage charges if they go NetFlix crazy.

I'm still on an old unlimited Bell DSL acct and without going YouTube crazy or anything like that, I have watched as my data consumed has gone up over time (Last month I think I hit 40GB between the two computers, the PS3, Wii, the iPhone, my stereo and my alarm clock, all of which consume data)

Throw NetFlix into that mix? I'd probably be looking at double that amount, for starters Dodgy

NefCanuck
well in total, im paying 8$ for netflix, 69.99$ for internet and 7$ for the modem/route rental. all included 85$ a month, no need to cable/satelite anymore, i have blazing fast internet and all the movies/top gear i can watch. i was already paying 40$ for internet as it was so really, netflix is costing me 45$ over and above what i already had.

how much is it gonna increase when UBB kicks in?
My other ride is your Mom
is that not something only bell has proposed?

(01-20-2011, 08:26 AM)GFXjamie Wrote: is that not something only bell has proposed?

All ISP's are implementing it, Rogers, Bell, Shaw, and others..

Quote:Canada’s ISP giants have been modifying their data plans in anticipation of Netflix coming to Canada. The go-to method to generating profit from this is to cap users’ bandwidth and then force them to pay even more money in addition to their already expensive plans as punishment for exceeding their bandwidth limit.
Continued:

1 hour of Netflix streaming in HD via Playstation 3 came in to be about 2GB. With the average movie being 2 hours long, that is 4GB per movie. Two movies a week over the course of a billing cycle will work out to 8 movies x 4GB/movie. That is 32GB, or just over half of your monthly bandwidth cap alone. If you are already over your cap, it will cost $8 to watch a single move on Netflix, beyond the $8/month you pay to use the service.

This is a FYI, that the ISP's are fighting against Netflix in a way that will hurt you where it counts, your wallet.
good thing i went with a high bandwidth for that reason alone. if they try fucking me around, tech savy offers 200GB, 5mps down, 1mps up and like 30$ a month and they cud care less what everyone else does as they will still get customers

techsavvy... eeeeeeh

I have acanac DSL, unlimited bandwith!
we pay 30$/month for the business line, bought the modem outright and have a dry loop.
im switching us over to cable. Acanac has cable at unlimited bandwith, but extremely slow upload (500k). but its 10mbps down so its pretty quick!

if you go with acanac, let me know... 10 referalls and i get free internet for life, something I'm totally down for.

as for netflix, we just got it yesterday. the selection is still pretty poor and there's not much 'new' stuff there.
2003 Focus ZX5 Racecar/Perma broke/Storage
2011 Volkswagen Jetta Daily Driver
^just watch TV episodes and the few newer movies there are. lots of good comedy stuff and there are some recent movies. its a broad range of movies and is gradually getting better. within a year i bet there will be everything worthwhile

I've got it, streaming thru the PS3 and also watching it upstairs in bed on the laptop when we feel like it.

Cogeco has capped their overages, so even then it's still cheaper to cancel cable TV (which we did) and just stream / DL everything (which we do). Works like a charm.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stern Is Coming To Sirius Canada And Rogers Cable paolo 14 4,574 05-31-2006, 10:42 PM
Last Post: paolo