Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gt5 Prologue: In Stores Now!
Mini Review:

So after playing GT5: Prologue and completing most of the C Class races, I have to say one thing -- this is one of the most satisfying racing experiences I've had in a long time on any game console.

The first thing you notice when you start up the game is just how beautiful the cars look... this game is about the cars. The biggest issue most people will have is also because of this -- the tracks don't look nearly as detailed as the cars do... so try not to look around too much.

Where this game shines is in the way cars drive... this has to be closest thing you're going to get to driving the real things with a game controller. Habits I've formed in other GT games point out many updates to the handling models of the cars. No longer can you just brake and steer in a corner willy nilly.

In GT4, as long as you were braking, the car would dive into a corner. You could steer into our out of the corner, tap the brakes and the car would pull in to the line of your choice.

Try doing that in GT5, and the car spins... you can actually 'feel' the back end unweight when you do this, and it's a sensation few racing games convey accurately. Considering how accurate the weight transfers feel, I'm keen to try out other cars and see if things like limited slip differentials and active diffs come into play.

AI
The AI was one of my biggest concerns. In games past, and even in the prologue demo, the AI would shunt and bump you off track... in nearly 20 races, that happened only once to me in Prologue. I was bumped from behind by an overeager GTI driver... but that was. From that point forward, the AI would come up on me, and --- brake.. actually slow down. And it seems the AI actually checks their blind spot in corners too. Some cars will slow and let you pass if you dive inside on a corner, some will try to shut you out -- it seems earily similar to driving on the 401...

The Sound
The sound is actually much improved in this game... transitions in and out of slip streams are auditble, the engine noise differs between every view of the car, weither it be the bumper cam, the in-car (which sounds best by far), full external, or roof cam, the engine is noticeably attenuated or amplified to suit the view. The one thing I didn't take much notice of was if you could actually hear the other cars around you... and this is probably the sound's weak spot... but it's fixable.

Online, there are some nice features, and a few shortcomings. On the plus side, if you're a decent driver, you will win the majority of your credits in this mode. 1st place in a C series race nets you $5-6 grand... take the win in the beginner's online races and you get $12,000....

Unfortunately, while the matchmaking service guarantees close races, it doesn't guarantee decent pings -- so cars tend to jump around the track a little (or maybe it's just the other drivers are that bad).

One neat feature of the online mode is the collision detection when a driver makes an unexpected move. If an opponent suddenly veers towards you in a move that could cause an accident, their car will go translucent and they'll go sailing into the runoff... nice. However, there's a downside to this, as it allows you to 'cheat' -- rear end shunts are detected, while swerving isn't... so you can shunt people off a track or take an inside line by simply cutting in quickly -- your car goes transparent, you go through the blocking car and get the better line.

Hopefully people won't resort to these tactics to win, but I can see the opportunity of abusing one's car's transdimensional capabilities..

All in all, this is a fun game. It's really about the cars, and that's where it shines. Hopefully in time the track detail will go up along with a more robust online experience.

Definitely worth the $40
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

You mention the sound in game, what sound system are you using? (5.1 I would guess) is there any support for any of the higher end sound codecs? (Dolby TrueHD)

NefCanuck
I'm using 5.1 .. but I don't think there's support for the higher end sound codecs yet... would have to check the box art to be sure.

Not that outputting to Dolby TrueHD would provide any better sound tho-- since the sound is produced by digital assets and not master track recordings like you might find in a movie.

Need... PS3!!! :lol:

Need... wireless adapter for PS3!!!! :lol:

Need IV for sustenance and to cash in remaining vacation days! :P
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
sweet, so i still have at least a year before i "need" to buy a PS3
'05 Grand Cherokee LTD Hemi

'02 black ZX5 ****currently on jack stands my parents garage missing a transmission****
--FC/OBX 4-2-1 Race Header--FS Flex--MBRP catback exhaust--AEM CAI--Brembo Brakes with Hawk HPS pads--Toucan(ractive) 9mm Plug wires--FC Plug wire cover--Polished aluminum Ractive Strut Bar
Not installed: FK 60/40 Springs
ZX5focused,Apr 17 2008, 11:46 AM Wrote:sweet, so i still have at least a year before i "need" to buy a PS3
[right][snapback]262268[/snapback][/right]

I don't know -- by next year, the honda fans may finally figure out that the Integra Type R is no match for the Focus... then the online races may get difficult.

dp do you have one of those racing chair with steering with setups? how do you feel the rear of the car breaking loose in a video game? in previous GT games i would have to use the yaw rate shown on the screen (like how fast the picture on the tv was moving) versus my controller input to determine whether i was going to spin or not

darkpuppet,Apr 17 2008, 09:28 AM Wrote:I'm using 5.1 .. but I don't think there's support for the higher end sound codecs yet... would have to check the box art to be sure. 

Not that outputting to Dolby TrueHD would provide any better sound tho-- since the sound is produced by digital assets and not master track recordings like you might find in a movie.
[right][snapback]262262[/snapback][/right]

Ah, true... just wondered since the game seems to be pushing the envelope visually, wondered if it would do so audio wise...

NefCanuck
NefCanuck,Apr 17 2008, 10:16 AM Wrote:You mention the sound in game, what sound system are you using? (5.1 I would guess) is there any support for any of the higher end sound codecs?  (Dolby TrueHD)

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]262261[/snapback][/right]

7.1 too! I just picked it up on my way home.
[center]TEAM PITA™ Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.[/center]
Canadian ST,Apr 17 2008, 08:05 PM Wrote:
NefCanuck,Apr 17 2008, 10:16 AM Wrote:You mention the sound in game, what sound system are you using? (5.1 I would guess) is there any support for any of the higher end sound codecs?  (Dolby TrueHD)

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]262261[/snapback][/right]

7.1 too! I just picked it up on my way home.
[right][snapback]262326[/snapback][/right]

Lordy, if I upgraded my sound system here to 7.1 they'd sent out a hit squad on me :lol:

NefCanuck
naz,Apr 17 2008, 06:03 PM Wrote:dp do you have one of those racing chair with steering with setups?  how do you feel the rear of the car breaking loose in a video game? in previous GT games i would have to use the yaw rate shown on the screen (like how fast the picture on the tv was moving) versus my controller input to determine whether i  was going to spin or not
[right][snapback]262318[/snapback][/right]

I don't have a racing chair, but have a couple Poangs and a couple the original GT wheels.

However, I was using the regular rumble controller... and it's more an intuitive thing than anything else... the way your view changes as the car pitches and yaws, the sounds of the tires screetching from the rear, and the way the rumble in the controller is timed, it gives an earily similar feeling to me screwing up at the AutoX...

darkpuppet,Apr 18 2008, 12:08 PM Wrote:I don't have a racing chair,

is it posssible to get motion through a chair? that would be CRAZY!!!!
Just a heads up guys... If anyone is still wanting to get GT5p, check out bestBuy flyer on page 8.
You get a DS3 when you buy the game for $20 more!
The DS3 is worth 55, the game is 40, so you save 35$ when you get both!
2007 CD Silver ST  **** FOR SALE ****
2014 Performance Blue ST  **** SOLD ****

2016 Ford Edge Sport Shadow Black
That's a pretty good deal.
TEAM PITA: Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.
*Magnetic Metallic 2015 Focus ST* *Red Candy Metallic 2012 F150 SuperCrew*
*Supercharged Roush Phase 2 Kona Blue 2012 Mustang GT*
Well at first I didn't like the fact that you couldn't add turbos and such to the car (until you pass level C) but it does make it a challenge. Damn that GT-R is all over the road at 300kph!!
[center]TEAM PITA™ Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.[/center]
Gravter,Apr 18 2008, 10:27 PM Wrote:Just a heads up guys... If anyone is still wanting to get GT5p, check out bestBuy flyer on page 8.
You get a DS3 when you buy the game for $20 more!
The DS3 is worth 55, the game is 40, so you save 35$ when you get both!
[right][snapback]262435[/snapback][/right]

Oh well, Best Buy just did a price ajustment on this.
It is now 25$ for the DS3, not 20$.

Still a good deal, but not as good as it was :(

i just picked up the game but had to get a rain check on the DS3.

the price of the DS3 is still $20 not $25
Interior
Jvc headunit, , Kicker Zx 1000.1, 2 12" Kicker comp VR, Diamond plate floor mats

Power mods
FRPP spark plug wires, Volant CAI
Must e online only then.
I'm going to a BB tomorrow, so I hope they still have some.
Inventory online says they do!

either way they will give you a raincheck for it and still only pay 20 for when they get it in stock
Interior
Jvc headunit, , Kicker Zx 1000.1, 2 12" Kicker comp VR, Diamond plate floor mats

Power mods
FRPP spark plug wires, Volant CAI
yeah i stopped by BestBuy on my way home after work and picked it up! and got my raincheck for a DS3 for $20..... even tho i already have 2 :D

2002 pitch black ZX3
Mach HIDs, 02 RS upper grille, Cervini's body kit, DTM drop mirrors, D2 coilovers, purple focussport strut tower bar and chrome rear bar, purple FC tb, Powerworks supercharger, optima yellow top, SVT ceramic coated header,Random Tech SVT/Zetec hi-flow cat , bosal flex, vibrant cat back with custom dual tips, b&m short throw shifter, pro-fit fuel door, shorty antenna, race-pedals.com "focus" pedals, clear 3rd brake light, SVT hvac controls, Transfer Racing billet hvac knobs, RS shift knob, RS Sparco E-brake handle, Mazda3 rear wiper, CarZone 3 piece roof wing, 17" Keskin KT4 wheels

Classic Painting