FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Svt Owners - How Many Interested In A Turbo Kit?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
1turbofocus,Feb 2 2005, 08:58 PM Wrote:Jay, There is abig differance between buying the sheep or low cost parts to put a DIY kit togather and something that you want your name on and going to try to make a profit on

You will find that you cannot do a kit stand behind it and sell it for any profit for the cost you stated above and if you can it will be pure junk, used or low ball parts that wont stand the heat of time

I have been doing this for a long time build 1000`s of turbo kit from 200HP to 2000 HP there is cheap ways to do it and proper ways to do it , look at gude do i need to say anymore

Tom
[right][snapback]82939[/snapback][/right]

allI am asaying is the hardware costs ~$2500 the rest is markup when we are talking about a HARDWARE kit non intercooled. there is nothing crazy about this, you don't need to be a Engineer to figure out a turbo setup.

i built a kit for the GF's Prelude using all BRAND NEW top of the line parts, I do know what I am talking about..and again, this is using consumers pricing. I know that as a business and buying multiple turbo's and wastegates/bov's etc. you get shop pricing so you're already making money on marking up the cost of the hardware.

Anyways, that's the one thing I hate about the shops that sell focus parts, they think they are super Elite, in the Honda world at least, everything is normal, even if a shops kit is WAY above another it's still not ultra exlensive "just because they can" but hey..it don't matter for me anyways, I'm not one to be taken to the cleaners just because I want to turbo my car.

I don't think I need to keep discusing this, I'll let you guys at it. :ph34r:
One thing I think alot of retailers are missing with the Focus is that it is either the first car somebody drives/owns or the second car for a family. How many people with a few dollars to spend are going to throw a turbo in their Focus? Now that the question is written down, it does seem like the dumbest question on this board yet. I'm not interested in a turbo, but when we had the JRSC put on the car when we bought it, no way would that cheap bastard son of mine spent $3500 or more for that unit. So asking twice that amount to Foci owners who most don't have a pot to piss in is a question not worth answering. Would you spend $20k on a car or spend $27,500 on a nicer car right from the manufacture with warranty and more power before you even touch it.

Modding the car is enjoyable in small amounts for most. But the big buck spenders are not the Focus owners. Mustang, yes. But then your looking at spending atleast 30k and in a different car enthusiast bracket. I know Tom has done very well with his turbo business. But he doesn't just mod the Focus and is known far and wide in NA. Only one.

Best of luck meister but I would head down the road and keep plugging away at the JRSC. Best bang for the reliable buck.
has jay mentioned.. its not rocket science.. building a turbo kit is nothing like making a set of cams or a turbo itself for example.. now theres a difference in quality in those and im sure its clear..

making a turbo setup is basicly gathering a bunch of already made parts and makin em work together.. i think the only real "work" is in the tuning and thats if its needed.. ok, there's the part where you make a manifold of course, thats some thinking and work right there but besides that, all parts just need to be connected basicly..in alot of other cars its just a matter of turning up the fuel pressure and your ready to roll.. of course theres always an easier, more getho way and a more elaborative and time consuming way of tuning..and it depends on the car etc.. some have their particularities

but if we are just talking about hardware..anyone that understands it should be able to do it..

thats why i never really understood why the "gude kit" was such crap.. ok it might not be complete for the average joe that wants to get it installed and drive off just like anyone that gets their oil changed.. and im not dissing anyone that does that. Not everyone wants to go through the hassle of figuring out stuff. Not sure what was all wrong about the kit in the first place but i mean i could buy a kit off a volkswagen owner and it could work..essentially its the same parts that are used in all turbo cars.

i like to compare to computers.. its like someone buying a built computer..he doesnt want to hassle of gathering parts and building his own machine. Theres an obvious difference in price when you compare them.. Even if I'm using a Athlon XP, and the other guy is using a Pentium 4, theres still the same video card that can be used, and sound card, and cd burner.. or you could compare it to an older computer from the 90s even.. which uses ISA slots instead of PCI.. all in all, the idea stays the same.

As for the parts themselves, well i agree.. there is a difference in quality even if it does the same thing.. but from the pricing Jay wrote, you could get brand new quality parts.. as a consumer even.. as a shop/dealer welllll...
BerinG, I dont agree and there is kind of a science to it , It isnt as easy as just bolting togather a bunch of parts , I have changed my kit over time about 6 times and almost every time picked up more TQ

If it was as easy as bolting togather parts everyone would have a turbo on there car

I do understand where you are coming from but the fastest running Hondas around here (about 60 with turbos) have kits on them that cost almost 6000.00 and there my kits , Now some of them first went to other kits and bought them for much less 3500.00 and they were getting there butts handed to them witha turbo kit with smaller turbo and smaller piping , WHY you ask because of the differance in the kits not just the parts them self but also the way the kit is but togather

How the kit is made makes a BIG differance and in turn this cost more

Tom
lol you guys make me laugh :P Why can't there be a straight forward thread on this board??

Try this as an example:

Question "anyone interested in an SVT turbo kit?
replies "nope, realistically I cannot spend that kind of money"
"Yes, I have been condidering it, would like to hear more"
"Yes, definitely interested... let's talk"

Is that so difficult? lol You do realize Steeda.ca is in business to serve you guys the way possible right? And then Tom comes on you guys question one of the most experience Focus turbo builders in NA. Sure, if you're clever and handy you can put together a system for less than purchasing one from a store... isn't that true of most things?? (ghetto or otherwise)

Jay go ahead and put some kits together bud, then as you said, you will begin to understand the business side. Time is money, and unless the name of the company is followed by "a non-profit organization" then you can guarantee that if there are no margins... there is no more business. I can assure you that Steeda.ca wouldn't 'profit' 2000 on that 4500 There is alot of cost recovery required above the parts themselves ;)

SO BACK TO THE TOPIC :ph34r:

Anyone here interested or seriously considering a turbo for their SVT?
Yes! Definitely interested... let's talk! :D
*laughs*

i'm interested, but only if the stage one is for like $3250 or less. which i believe won't happen, so it's ok.. i'm just wanting to dream.
No, 10000% not interested :ph34r:
ahhh, perfect, thanks fellas :) :P
Are you guys doing something with the Zetec? :unsure:
You do realize Steeda.ca is in business to serve you guys the way possible right?

Then why is Steeda dropping the JRSC? There are many of us running that set up and want tuning for that kit, but Steeda is walking away from the JRSC. Doesn't sound like Steeda is serving my needs.

Nope, not interested, I don't own an SVT anyway.
meford4u,Feb 3 2005, 12:34 PM Wrote:You do realize Steeda.ca is in business to serve you guys the way possible right?

Then why is Steeda dropping the JRSC?  There are many of us running that set up and want tuning for that kit, but Steeda is walking away from the JRSC.  Doesn't sound like Steeda is serving my needs.

Nope, not interested, I don't own an SVT anyway.
[right][snapback]83075[/snapback][/right]

Good point Meford, perhaps it wasn't explained correctly...

We are no longer jrsc 'dealers' in that we don't carry the product. That is due to the lack of demand for it at Steeda.ca. That is not to say we couldn't get our hands on one if somebody so desired.

The tuning is irrelevant to us being a dealer. In fact, we just posted details regarding a jrsc tune, as I'm sure you're aware. We are not walking away from the tuning business... so give us a call for your tune man, it seems we can serve your needs B) Make sense?

sidenote: lol I only know of 3 jrsc's on this board and one isnt' installed yet... that's not "many", perhaps there are some i don't know about?? :P
all needs? :ph34r:
Tom why bother answering these posts any longer it's all been said at least 1000 times before. I respect what you do I think your kits are priced on par with the quality and performance you get with them.

I think it's just a common theme that people want everything for nothing. A $2500 turbo kit, gets real guys my last turbo and intercooler cost me $3000 alone.

Save your money and come play in the real world where performance, looks and reliability are all included in the same package.

On a side note Tom could you tune my 03 Tib? I’ve ordered a stage 2 Alpine supercharger kit and once it’s installed I need someone to give me a tune that works.
BerinG,Feb 3 2005, 02:27 PM Wrote:all needs? :ph34r:
[right][snapback]83105[/snapback][/right]

Uhhh, tough to leave that one alone but I will :P :lol: :lol:
Euro Ford Fan,Feb 3 2005, 02:38 PM Wrote:...I think it's just a common theme that people want everything for nothing. A $2500 turbo kit, gets real guys my last turbo and intercooler cost me $3000 alone.
Save your money and come play in the real world where performance, looks and reliability are all included in the same package.
[right][snapback]83106[/snapback][/right]

Ahhh, the voice of reason... B)
Flofocus,Feb 3 2005, 11:59 AM Wrote:Are you guys doing something with the Zetec?  :unsure:
[right][snapback]83064[/snapback][/right]

Yeah, Steeda has the turbo kit available for the non-SVT zetec as far as I know. I understand it is fundamentally a Precision kit with some changes... not sure what exactly.

If it's not up on our site yet, you can find it at http://www.steeda.com under the Focus area.
BrooksZX3,Feb 3 2005, 02:36 PM Wrote:
BerinG,Feb 3 2005, 02:27 PM Wrote:all needs? :ph34r:
[right][snapback]83105[/snapback][/right]

Uhhh, tough to leave that one alone but I will :P :lol: :lol:
[right][snapback]83123[/snapback][/right]

haha just testing your fidelity

you know what i was about to ask..
BrooksZX3,Feb 3 2005, 02:38 PM Wrote:
Euro Ford Fan,Feb 3 2005, 02:38 PM Wrote:...I think it's just a common theme that people want everything for nothing. A $2500 turbo kit, gets real guys my last turbo and intercooler cost me $3000 alone.
[right][snapback]83106[/snapback][/right]

Ahhh, the voice of reason... B)
[right][snapback]83124[/snapback][/right]

You guys can't F UCKING READ.

I never said you should have a Turbo kit for $2500, I merely said that all the parts cost $2500 for the non intercooled/non tuned kit. If you charge $2000 for your labour/profit/R&D per kit..that's insane.

And Simon, I don't think you qualify as a typical turbo kit buyer like 99% of the people who would buy a kit from Steeda.ca.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6