FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Sick Of Hearing Member That Diss Focus
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
What engine is your JRSC on and how you liking it. I been checking out some prices of the Vortech and JRSC and I can prolly get one of those setups plus more and still be cheaper then Toms LOL. Then again the daily driver thing.
On a regular Zetec:

JRSC: simple bolt-on, super reliable, daily driver, 170 Crank HP, no torque, difficult to upgrade because the blower is somewhat innefficient

Vortech: Freakin complicated install, reliable? we'll see, more maintenance, 190 Crank HP with HO kit, Has a lot more torque than JRSC, easier to upgrade.

Turbo: More complicated than JRSC, less complicated than Vortech. Maintainance is approx on par with vortech, 190++++ HP depending on options, tonnes of torque, easy to upgrade, not emissions legal like JRSC or Vortech.

and back on topic for a sec... there has been a lot of bitching in general lately... D-Dub, can you let me know how it is you consider there being more and more rice on the board lately...especially when you would consider Dan's car rice free? (sorry Dan..still loved the car from what I saw tho).

I swear, the ricer talk is what annoys me the most. I have rice on my car, and I couldn't give a rat's ass...why does everyone get so offended so easily?
Focus' suck big fat CACK!

And they burn down to the ground. :ph34r:

Lol

I used to LOVE my Focus..it was different, and I liked that.

THEN, I grew up, and realized, it's just a stupid car...why do I need to spend triple the money to get lower results compared to doing up an import?

So, I bought a Civic.

Because for me, I ain't ready to pay more, to be different. Not anymore anyways. :)

And as for what's rice...well, that's easy, and has been mentioned. Stupid mods that make no difference to anything. IE: stupid ugly body kits, chrome fenders, fake antenna's, gay Altezza lights, Neon lights, washer nozzle lights, big huge stickers all over.

Stuff like that. It is all personal preference..yes..however..be ready to be critizized. It's not cuz it's a Focus board that you have to just say nice things about each others cars no matter what.
I guess Rice is just that a term...in some circles rice is neon. However many show cars have it. To me wasting money on a stereo is stupid.

But I have realized a couple of things in my old old age:

1. Don't try to please everyone else...please yourself
2. Don't concern yourself about what everyone else is doing
3. And always have the ability to laugh at yourself

And you know what the Focus is a great little car no doubt....remember it is a compact car that starts under 20g. I know reliability was an issue and it is getting better. But I wouldn't trade my car for anything in that price range in order to get reliability, hell our S-series cars were bulletproof....but man what a piece of s**t. Anybody want one?

Just my 2 cents though......

thabrat,May 26 2004, 05:30 AM Wrote:What year is your car?
It's a 2000 with 102k on it, warranty's done (fine with me, I cannot expect Ford to repair my car forever anyways) and I tried to call the dealer if there's any recall / tsb on it, my answer:
"I've checked your vin on our computer and there's no recall on the vehicle, as for TSB, I cannot check it through the computer, I only work at the front desk......

I've seen cars with snapped coils (common on older style Honduhs), but never seen a coil leaving it's position (leaning to a side), plus judging by the size of the coil, it seems like it's big enough to go through the lower spring seat, atleast now 1/2 of my bottom coil is sitting below the spring seat anyways. Oh well, time for better suspension anyways.......
Jays2000ZX3,May 26 2004, 12:15 PM Wrote:Focus' suck big fat CACK!

And they burn down to the ground. :ph34r:

Lol

I used to LOVE my Focus..it was different, and I liked that.

THEN, I grew up, and realized, it's just a stupid car...why do I need to spend triple the money to get lower results compared to doing up an import?

Stuff like that. It is all personal preference..yes..however..be ready to be critizized. It's not cuz it's a Focus board that you have to just say nice things about each others cars no matter what.
It's not really the car's fault, the FORD focus in Europe (which is how it's suppose to be built) suffers far less problems than the North American version. Reason of that is due to the poor quality of american craftmanship, plus labour unions squeezes out every ounce of money out of the company, they have to go for less expensive parts.
As for Honduhs, the Focus beat the Civic in every single catagory in a circuit course. I agree on the reliability issue on the Focus but I WILL not buy a Honduh in my life due to alot of reasons and I'm not going to write an essay about those reasons either.
I'm not here to start a post war or I ain't no computer tuff guy but I'm just trying to express my opinion in this board. As I stated in my previous post, I've left the board already and I'm only comming back for the "sell" section. If you like other make/manufacturer, there's alot of other discussion boards that will suit your personal preference, this site is dedicated to the Ford Focus, so be respectful to other members too, if you don't like it, go to other sites!
Guilty on all accounts. :lol:

I have to mention the only reason I found Focal Jet and in turn Focus Canada was because I was having lots of problems with my Focus and was not getting any help from dealers and Ford Canada HQ. I did not join as an "enthusiast" but as someone desperately in need of advice and insight.

Though I have embraced mods and consider myself an enthusiast the Focus remains very maintenance heavy and has some chronic issues. It is the shop as we speak.

It is interesting to note that Focus boards are the only ones I am a regular on. I posted on some Subaru boards last year but only in attempt to sell my beater. Since the current one has no problems, no need for improvement (mods) I don't have a need to post.

I will conceed and have said many times that the Focus makes a great 2nd car but if asked "I don't have a car and am looking at something new in the sub $25,000 range what do you recommend?" the only answer would be a 2004 Subaru Impreza TS your choice of sedan or hatch.

If the question was " I need a decent 2nd car new or used to compliment my ...(insert name of reliable import)....... what do you recommend?" I would have no problem saying pick up a 2002 Focus for less than $10,000 you can't go wrong.

Thats how I stand and can't be swayed.
The reason it's so easy to go and hop up a Civic is simply because there are SO many of them. They aren't any better at hopping up... they just have a 20+ year history, whereas the Focus is hardly 5 years old. It takes time to build up the aftermarket for a new car, considering the amount of R+D that is needed for a whole new array of parts from any given manufacturer.

[EDIT] - had to go to a meeting and cut the original post short! :lol:

Civcs and Focuses are pretty much the same car from different manufacturers. They have 4 cylinders, damn near identical trim lines, and the same purpose: save gas while acting as sporty as possible. They really are so close to each other it's insane.

What's wrong with the whole matter, as foc us mentions, is unions amongst other things. We DO suffer lower build quality, but aside from the fuel pump recall and the annoying door trim popping up... I have yet to see a problem in 3K+ KMs.

Would I blow $22,000+ on a loaded new Focus? Only if it got better mileage than my 2001 SPI. Would I blow 22K+ on a Civic? Hell no. For that price, you're barely getting a new car; it's more than likely you're getting a 2 year-old car off a lease.

Any talk about the Civic being any better than the Focus is bunk. One is domestic, the other an import. They serve exactly the same functions, and perform darn near identically (espcially the SPI vs the base 1.7L Civic from 2002-04 - *evil grin*).

The only difference isn't the capability to tune the Focus, it's the lack of aftermarket. And I'm sick to death of hearing about the Civic being "a mad tuner's car yo!" :angry:
I think what has happened with all the car manufacturers is that everyone of them makes good cars. Some appeal to some and some do not. Now what makes a car a good car is also very buyer dependent. Heck handling and power means almost nothing to most people. If it did mean that much well they wouldn't sell tonnes of J-cars and Neons.

People have to realize that.....
One thing to note here, and...it's TRUE.

Look at a NEW Focus, compared to a NEW Civic..in 4 years, which will be worth more?

Also, Civics aren't that expensive, you can lease one for 188$ a month..not bad at all.

I'm not saying the Civic is the best car, certainly not a new Civic. It's for sure built much better then a Focus, or cavalier, etc.

Anyways, the Focus is a good car, yes, I enjoyed mine very much, it was different, it was cool.

However, to do it over, NO WAY in hell would I pay for a Brand New Focus....just not worth it, they loose value WAY too quickly.

:ph34r:
Jay, you have very valid points.

And that's why my focus is going to stick around for a while... I can't imagine spending more money on a new/different car after the fact because the resale is so bad.

But you gotta see it from the eyes of some of the newbies that join the site as well... They come on the board, mention they've bought a focus and wonder what it would take to put a turbo on it.

And then the import ninjas jump from the dark, slice his dreams with hanso katana and a flurry of shuriken, telling them it's not worth buying the car they just bought because you can find so much better elsewhere.

But the ninjas were too late.. the kid already bought the car.

Hell, buying a used focus is a damn bargain! too bad there aren't lots of cheap performance mods for it, but folks have been able to demonstrate an ability to find performance parts on the cheap..and build respectable cars...just gotta look around.

The focus will never be a monster car.. but if we were all here for that, we'd all be buying rusted out RX-7's and supras and working nights at Dom Torreto's garage to make our 9 second cars.

Actually, the thing that bums me out the most is the migration of the technically knowledgeable folks to other platforms... we could use folks around who can help with the focus stuff.
Don't worry Steve, I made the mistake of buying a new one once....

When they come down in price more...I'm 95% going to buy another Focus. Because at that point, it's the same price as an older Civic..

If you go all out, IE built motor, turbo, standalone the Focus will be a KILLER!

The Zetec engine has some great advantages comparing to a Civic motor when we are talking about building it up.

If you do it this way......yes, the Focus is a good platform.

Hence the reason I am sticking around here! just to keep up with the folks, see what's new, if anyone has good results like I did etc.
I remember when jay had the avatar with the guy pissing on the honda sign...good ol days!
Flofocus,May 26 2004, 03:46 PM Wrote:I remember when jay had the avatar with the guy pissing on the honda sign...good ol days!
Who.........................me? :wacko:
Jays2000ZX3,May 26 2004, 11:50 AM Wrote:
Flofocus,May 26 2004, 03:46 PM Wrote:I remember when jay had the avatar with the guy pissing on the honda sign...good ol days!
oh yeah I remeber buddy!! Dont try and hide that s**t....i think you had on your old orgers site to. :lol:
Flofocus,May 26 2004, 03:55 PM Wrote:
Jays2000ZX3,May 26 2004, 11:50 AM Wrote:
oh yeah I remeber buddy!! Dont try and hide that s**t....i think you had on your old orgers site to. :lol:
What website?

http://members.rogers.com/jays2kzx3/index.html

:ph34r: :blink: :unsure:
BTW...dunno why the car had them Vinyl graphics on there....I swear it's because I was from Timmins....I soon realized it was RICE, and removed promptly! ;)
P.P.S

<a href='http://www.ebaumsworld.com/forumfun/misc5.jpg'>[Image: misc5.jpg]</a>
OMG you guys bitch and cry of the dumbest things.

Loosers.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm going to miss my Focus.

Jay while that vinyl was in bad taste the intercooler made up for it.

Jay was the official anti rice ghetto mod king.
One thing I would like to correct a couple of you on. Yes, I work for Ford, am a unionized employee, and make way too much money for the job I do for Ford.

Having said that, the poor craftmanship that comes from the cars is part of the North American mentality in automanufacturing. Firstly, when a model is first released, the plant mentality of management is get it out the door and if there are problems, the dealer will fix it. I have seen this first hand with the Windstar. When it was first developed, the guys on the line were noticing cracks in the mounting plate for the transmission. After telling management about the problem and holding the assembly line for inspection, management deemed the problem too minor. 300,000 vehicles later=costly recall for FORD.

The unions do try and squeeze out every dime for us, no doubt about that. But did you know, for example in the F150, that less than $800 US per vehicle is from labour costs? Bet you guys thought it was a lot higher than that. It's not. Almost 60% of a vehicle costs are the parts. So when you say that the fuel pump was a problem, springs, etc., that has everything to do with the way every company works. Give us this product for the lowest price. The profit per vehicle for the F150 averages at $6000 per vehicle manufactured, one of the highest margining vehicles in the world.

Ford, along with many automakers, is starting to shift their thinking. They are a slow bastard at doing it, but they are starting to pay attention to what their employees are telling them. For years we have been screaming here in Canada for a new product, but when you have to compete against low labour costs in Mexico, Ford has not been listening. Until now. They are looking at closing the Mexico plant because of ----poor quality-- they build some Foci at this plant.

So when your neighbour boasts about the new import they just bought, thank them for not supportying the local economy. For every 1 union job in the big three, 7 directly related jobs are created. If you want to look at what happens to an area if we lose those jobs, St. Catharines is a prime example. When GM pulled out of there, the city and area were, and still are to some degree, depressed. It was tough finding work there, let alone housing prices are rediculously low.

In saying all this, it would be easy for you to think I love unions. Truth is, I find mine to be an arrogant pain in the ars. I believe they are there for a purpose, and I enjoy the benefits of a union, but there &quot;outside&quot; interest piss me off.

Buy North American Built vehicles and leave your bucks at home.

Please

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6